SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Session - Wooooo!!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but am finally up and running so had the chance to get the scope out for an hour this evening. After many many hours of prep using books, star charts, stellarium and sky safari(!) it looked like M11 the wild duck cluster was going to be my target.

I had some trouble getting my finder scope aligned (I think this is something I really should have done in the daytime like everyone says!) and it seems to have run out of travel before I got anywhere near where I was looking but it was vaguely close enough. I found Altair and, after 10 mins of letting my eyes adjust, I found that I could make out the rest of the eagle shape in Aguila which was very cool.

M11 jumped straight out with my 30mm eyepiece but was even better with a 20mm. At 10mm it wasn't very good. I wonder why there was a difference between magnifications?? But I noticed two bright stars just below it and a quite bright one in the middle. I tried "averted vision" which worked amazingly well - the bright central core seemed to really jump out - and I tried "telescope tapping" too that I'd read about but I don't think I was doing it right cos it didn't make much improvement at all. But I did notice an almost flared shape to the fuzz - it wasn't completely circular.

One thing I did notice was that it didn't look like a cluster of wild ducks (although I'm sure I was in the right place!)? Is my telescope too small to see the shape? It was amazing either way. I tried doing a drawing but its a pretty weak attempt, no doubt they'll improve with practice. I didn't find the EQ1 too difficult to use but I think that this newer one with its steel legs feels like a much better and sturdier tripod than the other one's I was looking at.

Anyway sorry to bore everyone with a story about one tiny grey blob but I have found it all very exciting!

m11.jpg

• Like 12

Welcome to a universe of grey fuzzies that your wonderful human imagination converts to amazing deep sky objects!

M11 at 20:15 is quite low in the sky. If you're viewing around that time in the next few days, try something near zenith where the sky is darker.

M39 and M29 open clusters in Cygnus should be good targets for you at that time.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks I'll try that! I have a copy of "the messier album" by mallas; M29 was actually my original first target as it looks quite easy to find - I did some practice finding my way around Cygnus while I've been out walking the dogs at night!

Apparently its nicknamed "the watercooler" but Mallas' description was that it was a bit sparse and uninteresting. I was a bit worried that for a first target I wouldn't be able to tell whether or not I'd actually found it. But now I think I know the sort of thing to look for. I totally get why they're called "faint fuzzies" now haha!

glad to see u are writing it done this will help u alot later.

i also do that and iam at 5 books now i also put what eps i use if any filters what the temp weather time and date was and location.then i can always look back see what scope i used powers etc.

i assume the 70/900 is the scope u used if so you did good for a 70mm refractor, remember these are dso which is alot dimmer and harder to find and see. so just seeing it decent is good. now if you at a dark skies you will see alot from a 70mm from a white zone city light u might be hindered to only mostly the panets with only a few dso

so congrats

joejaguar

Edited by joe aguiar

Nice work Mimas DS. I bought my first real scope back in March, just got the goto drive up and working tonight. Some amazing sights. If you can suss it at your latitude, check out parts of the Veil Nebula NGC6960 if you grab a OIII filter and scan to the west for the rest. I'm c.58N near Aberdeen. Without an OIII you can still see it under proper dark skies. Happy views!

Edited by Ships and Stars
Replaced semi-colon with exclamation mark. Semi-colons are very special and should only be used under certain circumstances. Nothing beats a well-placed semi-colon my creative writing teacher used to say. I think he got the sack.
  • Like 2

the viel is not soo easy if your in LP skies, I say that since it desnt really show where she is and I don't want her tio try and not find it.also being she has a 2.8" refractor I think an O3 may be too dim for her maybe just a regular broadband filter for a scope that small.

joejaguar

• Thanks 1

Nice report, and great to be up and running. Personally I would leave the Veil for a while and get some easier objects under your belt. This will develop your observing skills and keep you achieving! Plenty more out there such as M13, M27, M31 and say the Double Cluster for starters. Start with objects you know you can see with your scope under your conditions, that makes it about using the finder and practising pointing the scope, not wondering whether you are in the right place but the object is invisible to you.

M11 is a lovely object, but does benefit from darker skies and higher power. It took me a long time to 'get it', but when you see it clearly at high power you really do see the V shapes of stars that look like a flock of ducks.

Have fun out there!

• Thanks 1

Look out for Stu, as I do. I have found his input in particular to be of great value to a beginner. Well reasoned, thought out and not pushing for the impossible with the inevitable disappointment.

You will find many more like Stu on here as you have already and it will make your journey much more rewarding. I regard this place as a deep well of knowledge, just chuck in your bucket!

Marvin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1