Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Six hours on the North American Nebula

kirkster501

Three hours HA (3nm) and an hour each on RGB.  All binned 1x1 and five minute exposures.

Samyang 135mm with G2-8300 with Astrodon filters.

Stacking and processing to RGB and Ha masters in Pixinsight and tone mapping done in Photoshop.   

12841137_NAN_Oct_2019_after_NC_ActionsandRotation.thumb.jpg.fe8183762832205bb4f812fe2efb2151.jpg

Edited by kirkster501
  • Like 16

I like it a lot! Not sure why you think it does not fit in the Deep Sky forum. It is deep enough for me. I intend to continue to post my Samyang 135 images here - when I get around to use that amazing lens again.

• Like 1

On 02/10/2019 at 08:50, Ouroboros said:

Superb indeed!  What's tone mapping  in a sentence or two? 

A process of mapping a narrowband channel, or channels, (in my case on this picture Ha) to one of the RGB working space channels (red in this case) and then blending that (with stars removed) on top of the "real" RGB image (constructed from the RGB filters) with various degrees of opacity to adjust the redness of the Ha. It is very subjective how "red" to make the Ha.  Additionally you can use high pass filters to refine the details.

https://astroanarchy.blogspot.com/2009/11/power-of-tone-mapping.html

^^ An old article but it explains it.

Hubble Palette is analogous.

I cannot get this to work in PixInsight (it must be me doing something wrong) whereas it is a Mickey Mouse thing to do in Photoshop.

Edited by kirkster501
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

@kirkster501 Nicely explained. Thanks. I suppose I might have to have a go at some of these things if I ever do mono using filters. I have enough trouble doing one shot colour with my DSLR. 🙂 

"A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step....."