Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

Hi Everyone. Hoping you can guide me in the right direction or give some advice. 
I was given a Celestron Astromaster 70AZ telescope as a gift and have so far managed to locate and view Jupiter with an Android app. 

I subsequently came across a youtube clip were the guy demonstrated on how to add a DSLR / mobile phone adapter to his telescope as a way to converting his budget telescope to a push / go-to by clipping his mobile phone on top of his telescope and using the star finder app, be able to locate his target and then using his finder scope.  Please note that I am not trying to Astrophotography (yet).

However, I am unable to find any mounting clips / mobile phone adapters I can buy to add onto my telescope. Any suggestions or ideas how I can make this work? 

Below is what I mean on how I want to attach my mobile phone on top of my telescope.

Your help will be appreciated! :)

AC
South Africa

340x340_template-4.jpeg

ori-05306-3.jpg

Hi

If your telescope tube is metal it may cause some interference with the mobile phone and accuracy of where the phone thinks it is pointing.

Ideally for minimal weight disturbance I would look to place the mobile on the telescope tube above the mounts pivot point.

Free apps are like Google Sky and then paid app I think SkyEyePro has a push to for locating objects.

This post might give you ideas on how you could make something work and there is a great link within that thread for more ideas.

15 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Hi

If your telescope tube is metal it may cause some interference with the mobile phone and accuracy of where the phone thinks it is pointing.

Ideally for minimal weight disturbance I would look to place the mobile on the telescope tube above the mounts pivot point.

Free apps are like Google Sky and then paid app I think SkyEyePro has a push to for locating objects.

This post might give you ideas on how you could make something work and there is a great link within that thread for more ideas.

Cheers! thanks very much. Will read up on that topic :)

You might do as well adding a cheap red dot finder to the telescope then using the phone hand-held to locate where in the Sky you need to be and using the RDF to line up on a target that you can see by eye.

Hi AC wouldn't any of the standard smart phone brackets do - the type of thing that attaches the phone to the eyepiece for photography.  All you would need to do is attach it remote from the eyepiece but of course it would need to be aligned just like any finder .  I may have missed the point of what you were looking for though, apologies if I have. :) 

Smart Phone Adaptor

Jim 

You could use:
Phone Holder + Ballhead Adapter for selfie stick tripod smartphone photography Clip Holder 
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/tlDok51O

If you have tube rings, you could attach ballhead to accessory bolt on one ring.

I ordered this holder for ST80, but I didn’t received holder jet to confirm is it good solution.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now