Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Unreliable

Weather forecasts for clear skies

Hi all,

Where do you guys go for good forecasts re clear skies? I've been underwhelmed by bbc. I searched the site quickly and found first light optics had launched their own, any good? Any others I should check out?

Thanks in advance and apologies for being such a noob!

Julian

I go here. When low, mid and high clouds are absent, and when the seeing is 4 or higher the night is good.

You may have to set the dark theme if you don't get it by default. The light theme is terrible.

First port of call - Met Office. Then FLO Clear Outside and Ventusky. Met Office also has visible satellite map. If weather is unstable and there's not a huge clear front passing through, check frequently for updates. I spent several hours Sunday night setting up only to have it start to drizzle. Met Office predicted this, but only an hour before hand. No one else was calling for rain. 

15 hours ago, des anderson said:

Try "Dark Sky" it`s a free App, and pretty accurate. des

Just looked at this app an it is £3.99, you must have got yours before they started to charge for it.

5 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

Just looked at this app an it is £3.99, you must have got yours before they started to charge for it.

I noticed there are Dark Sky and Dark Skies apps, the latter is free.

I just go by my cats....if they stay on the sofa its going to be windy, cloudy & wet.....

If they disappear just before dusk....its going to be a fine clear night with no wind....ideal for going on a murdering spree...

• Like 2