Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 317A & B in Andromeda

mdstuart

I was out with my big dob last night enjoying the galaxies in the SE of the sky. I came across this little treasure. A pair of galaxies in Andromeda. I had identified them as a target using DSS images and thought I would try even though I was not hopeful in my skies.

I was able to star hop to and pick out the close pair of stars to the right of the galaxies in this image fairly easily. The stars are mag 12 and mag 14. Of course they are white to the eye, no lovely colours visually. 

I could make out both galaxies with averted vision but NGC 317A the small elliptical was the brighter of the two. Both very small but still  a lovely sight.

Here is my original observation.

587563788_Ngc317.thumb.jpeg.669bff5020fbfdf5018d89ffec068142.jpeg

They have been featured as object of the week here:

http://www.deepskyforum.com/showthread.php?1302-Object-of-the-Week-September-1-2019-NGC-317-A-B-and-PGC-3432&p=7331

www.caelumobservatory.com has this great image of the pair on their web site.

317.thumb.jpg.5ddbb4380fc22203a10eb7af6c441683.jpg

I am sure that the pair would be visible in a 16 inch scope so if you have a big dob then give them a go after observing M31! This pair are 230 million light years away so a bit of a way out from M31. 

Mark

• Like 11