SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First time OSC ccd...and Filters question...

Nikolas74

Soon I am going to receive my first time OSC ccd ,I live under Bortle 8-9 skies...I was wondering what filter would be my first priority since I like to image Nebulas mostly....but i wouldn't like to loose the opportunity to image galaxies and star clusters....

There are so many filters out there and now the new Multiband pass filters that combine Narrowband lengths. Duo bad, triband,quad band etc.

In my opinion I need a Light Pollution filter and for Nebulas a Multiband pass filter.....

Any recommendation on brands ?

14 minutes ago, Nikolas74 said:

Soon I am going to receive my first time OSC ccd ,I live under Bortle 8-9 skies...I was wondering what filter would be my first priority since I like to image Nebulas mostly....but i wouldn't like to loose the opportunity to image galaxies and star clusters....

There are so many filters out there and now the new Multiband pass filters that combine Narrowband lengths. Duo bad, triband,quad band etc.

In my opinion I need a Light Pollution filter and for Nebulas a Multiband pass filter.....

Any recommendation on brands ?

Under those sky's you will want a very narrow filter for nebula. Star clusters are bright and galaxy imaging will be a challenge irrespective. I would just go for a nebula filter as trying for best of all worlds will not work out well. Hence I would recommend a duel band filter, Tri band at a push. 

1 hour ago, kirkster501 said:

I would investigate the IDAS LP filter.  This is very highly regarded.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/idas-d1-light-pollution-suppression-filter.html

Say hi to the wonderful Greece to me.

Thank you  I have experience already for the IDAS LP2 but there are so many version I am confused now which one is better for color camera .....

Edited by Nikolas74
correction

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

Under those sky's you will want a very narrow filter for nebula. Star clusters are bright and galaxy imaging will be a challenge irrespective. I would just go for a nebula filter as trying for best of all worlds will not work out well. Hence I would recommend a duel band filter, Tri band at a push. 

You mean a tri band would be more effective....?

Do you think I can still use it for galaxies or star clusters ?

I don't believe that they can be so strong as eg. Astrodon 3nm 😀

I have been looking for the Altair Triband...

My purpose is to use the color camera mainly for getting RGB acctualy....