Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

heliumstar

FS-60Q and Herschel Wedge

A quick question if someone can chime in. FS-60Q and Herschel Wedge. I don't have enough knowledge to properly understand but it looks to me that it should work and be ok. The extender lenses are not close enough to concentrate as much heat as to be an issue. Is my thinking sound?

Interested as I have similar equipment (FS60CB with 1.7x extender + HW). I usually use a solar filter film at the front of this scope but would like to try the wedge if safe.

Hi guys.

I use the Lunt solar wedge with a TeleVue Ranger, (image below), which is a 70mm semi-achromat. The reason I opted for the Lunt was the pre-installed/built-in ND3.0 filter. I find it is a lot safer than using a full aperture or off-axis solar filter.

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.61d0def85db3d5e798128ef6d95d020b.JPG

I used it with a variety of eyepieces with and without a 1.6x screw-on lens or a 2.8x Barlow lens without any issues. Though I am not sure though about the use of extender lenses. Hopefully someone can answer this.

To update the thread. I collected information from multiple sources and all agree that considering the extender lens is further inside the tube and not close to focuser/focal plane it's okay to use Herschel Wedge plus I found one person actually using Herschel wedge with FS-60Q.

Now the question is which one? Lunt 1.25", Lacerta Brewster-angle. Want to keep everything 1.25" although Baader and Altair Astro ones look good with built-in solar finder. The other thing is you can get Lunt and SW Solar mount for the price of Baader...