SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Focus Improvement or Replace OOUK 10" focuser

Alan White

My OOUK 10" focuser which is of 2007 vintage and the OOUK own OC1 model is worn and slipping.
Adjusts from slip/slop to too tight with less than 1mm turn of the allen keys.
Any ideas or your experiences please.

I know it is probably time to replace, the scope was used by its earlier owner for imaging so it's carried a load.
If this is the case what have you done, why and what do you think of it now?

Edited by Alan White
typos of course

Hi Alan, not sure what wears in that focuser but it looks like a copy of the Moonlite focusers and depending how close a copy it is there’s a German Ebay seller called classic-telescopes who has some nos moonlite focuser tubes at the moment- I just ordered and received one- he’s a very nice eBay seller, they’re a good price I think and the postage is a good price too. If it is the tube that’s worn might be an option?

Mark

• Thanks 1

Mark, that is a good suggestion, but no idea how sizes compare.

The OC1 May look Moonlite like, I think that was intentional, but that’s the only similarity I think, if the sizes are the same then happy days.

Have you got the Moonlite measurements at all?

Thank you @markse68, very much appreciated for taking the effort.

Clearly the OC1 is not a direct copy as the dimensions are smaller.
Diameter of tube 56.15 mm
Distance at flat 54.6 mm mainly but varies with the wear.

Thanks @Moonshane, I have done similar on other focusers, but this one has irregular wear in it.
I think this is from where it has sat loaded with photo kit in its previous life.

So what focuser to buy then.

A Feathertouch, sadly, no. Way outside my funds as much as they are so nice.
A Moonlite OC1, I am used to the single speed?
A Baader Steeldrive Diamond NT?
A good old R&P unit of some kind if I can find one?

Your experience and thoughts please folks.

Edited by Alan White

I've often looked at this focuser, probably what I'll go for when I upgrade the revelation astro crayford on my newt.  I have the single speed, non-monorail version and it's very well made and lovely to use. 

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3700_TS-Optics-MONORAIL-2--Newtonian-focuser-with-Micro-Transmission.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chriske said:

woow £50 for just the base...?...🤪

well it is quite a hunk of anodised CNC'd aluminium- it's not really a bad price for the quality. I've been looking around to get a base 3D printed in Nylon for mine and the cheapest I can find is about £70!! CNC'd one off would be about 200+!

2 hours ago, Chriske said:

I have absolutely no idea how a base like that looks like. I did a  60 sec drawing(about 120x120x25mm) and put it in slicer. It gives me : 1.60€

image.png.f5e6fa9d4ab1aab5d001d2859720ea6a.png

Where did you get that quote? Are you talking your own machine and filament cost?

Yep, after a quick drawing I ran a simulation in my slicer.
My slicer gives me an estimate value of the filament length required to print that thing, estimate time to finish that part and also the cost to print it.
In one of the settings of slicer I need to fill in the cost of 1kg filament.

• Like 1

Looks like I might have found an interim solution with the offer of a working OC1-M single speed.
This will get me back observing for now, which is great.

Thank you for the offerup of the focuser. 😁  You have to love SGL for the camaraderie.

58 minutes ago, Chriske said:

Yep, after a quick drawing I ran a simulation in my slicer.
My slicer gives me an estimate value of the filament length required to print that thing, estimate time to finish that part and also the cost to print it.
In one of the settings of slicer I need to fill in the cost of 1kg filament.

Ah ok yes you could do that but I was talking about getting it made in nylon on an sls  machine which is a bit more pricey and puts the moonlite cost into perspective (did for me anyway ;)) Actually I was really shocked by the quote having had other parts made by the same company and finding their prices quite reasonable for the quality. But I checked around and they were still by far the cheapest 😳Much cheaper than Shapeways for example

Edited by markse68