Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Jiggy 67

Muddy boots and a ruined lawn

3 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

I’ve had them down for about 2 weeks so the grass has grown a bit but not much as it slows at this time of year. I’ve spent about 5 nights out on the mats with no negative effects on the lawn. When I’ve done that previously without the mats it’s been a mud bath and ruined lawn

So, it might actually improve the health of the lawn overall.  It's too bad it won't drain and dry out on its own after it rains.  Damp lawns like that die here in Texas due to root rot.

On 05/11/2019 at 14:48, Jiggy 67 said:

they are all pegged firmly down (pegs come with the mats) and they work perfectly with no movement whatsoever. No mud, feet perfectly dry no matter the weather 

I just wondered, if the photo is the finished job, and I hesitate to suggest it, are they the right way up?  I've got these in various places on our land and I thought mine were a good deal smoother on the top than yours appear to be.  

I would suggest if you are not going to hammer them into the lawn, that you move them around so that the same bit of grass is not shaded from the sun all the time or you will end up with the pattern on the lawn if you decide to take them up for a garden event or similar.

Carole 

Yeh I think they are because the holes for the pegs are recessed that way up . I think I tried one both ways and this way worked best. I don’t think it’s a game changer either way though 

3 minutes ago, carastro said:

I would suggest if you are not going to hammer them into the lawn, that you move them around so that the same bit of grass is not shaded from the sun all the time or you will end up with the pattern on the lawn if you decide to take them up for a garden event or similar.

Carole 

They are only for the winter, I’m hoping the grass will recover in the summer and I intend to lay them down again next winter.....but you’re right, I’ll keep an eye on it

On 28/09/2019 at 13:08, Jiggy 67 said:

The environment around my house leaves me no option but to set up on my back garden and specifically the lawn. Given the fact that global warming has led to increase rainfall (it hasn't stopped raining for a week now!!) I am conscious that the ground and lawn is sodden. I have put up with this in the past but it appears to be getting worse and I don't want to turn my lawn into a mud bath and ruin the lawn as I walk around the mount.

I am considering pegging out a large plastic sheet and making some holes for the tripod legs to fit through to the ground below it. As I am hoping to keep the mount setup for much of the winter, this will be almost permanent through the winter.

Does anyone have any experience of this??.....How did it work for you??....does anyone have an alternative solution (without involving concrete or slabs) or is there a retail solution anyone can suggest

Thanks guys

Darren

Do you find you get unwanted mount movement during sessions as the earth is so soft? Have you no patio or other firm setting?

Roger

On 28/09/2019 at 13:08, Jiggy 67 said:

The environment around my house leaves me no option but to set up on my back garden and specifically the lawn. Given the fact that global warming has led to increase rainfall (it hasn't stopped raining for a week now!!) I am conscious that the ground and lawn is sodden. I have put up with this in the past but it appears to be getting worse and I don't want to turn my lawn into a mud bath and ruin the lawn as I walk around the mount.

I am considering pegging out a large plastic sheet and making some holes for the tripod legs to fit through to the ground below it. As I am hoping to keep the mount setup for much of the winter, this will be almost permanent through the winter.

Does anyone have any experience of this??.....How did it work for you??....does anyone have an alternative solution (without involving concrete or slabs) or is there a retail solution anyone can suggest

Thanks guys

Darren

Found theses , 

big_1666292.jpg

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/snowshoes-sh100-blue-id_8492871.html?iv_=__iv_p_1_g_61980133654_c_316432589974_w_pla-329717981662_n_g_d_c_v__l__t__r_1o1x_pla_y_15177021_f_online_o_2559465_z_GB_i_en_j_329717981662_s__e__h_9045819_ii__vi__&gclid=CjwKCAiAzanuBRAZEiwA5yf4upSLgXxqx0Bu_6OECq1dzx6P_w_OybDgmo-19TY6oaTjA5b08cAe9BoCK5IQAvD_BwE

🤣

Roger

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, apophisOAS said:

Do you find you get unwanted mount movement during sessions as the earth is so soft? Have you no patio or other firm setting?

Roger

No I haven’t found movement, probably because the EQ6-R-Pro is a beast and really heavy. I have a patio but it’s not in a good position. The solution above is simply the lesser of two evils, partially disturbed lawn or completely ruined mud bath 😐

Roger

No I haven’t found movement, probably because the EQ6-R-Pro is a beast and really heavy. I have a patio but it’s not in a good position. The solution above is simply the lesser of two evils, partially disturbed lawn or completely ruined mud bath 😐

If you have tripod pads under the feet the legs don't sink. 

Carole 

5 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

They are only for the winter, I’m hoping the grass will recover in the summer and I intend to lay them down again next winter.....but you’re right, I’ll keep an eye on it

That's too bad about your soggy winters.  Our winters in Texas tend to be fairly mild and dry.  Spring and fall tend to be our wet seasons, and everyone knows it is hot and dry in Texas during the summer.

Keep us updated with spring pics to see how your lawn did over the winter with those mats.

• Like 1

Or maybe these if you live in Yorkshire prodcut-image

Poor Yorkshire!!

OMG indeed, poor Yorkshire, it doesn't bear thinking about. 

Any-one know where the donation website is?

Carole 

If you are leaving your grass mats down then watch out for worm casts.  I have a temporary path I put down the garden to my obbo in winter and the worm casts come up through the slats and can make it quite muddy if you don’t brush them off regularly.