Narrowband

First night with 6mm Ethos and TeleVue Nebustar filter

Mark at Beaufort

I recently purchased these two items from a member on SGL. I wanted the 6mm Ethos to give me more magnification in my 12" Dob together with 100 degree FOV. I already have some good filters but I wanted another quality UHC to go with my Lumicon UHC when I use my 15x70 Apollo bins.

Last night the sky was very good with the Milky Way spreading itself across the sky and I was able to see all the stars in Ursa Minor which is one of tests for checking out DSOs.

Clearly I wanted to test the 6mm Ethos on some Globs to see how deep I could go. Well the 6mm did not disappoint with great and detailed views of M15, M2 and M13. I screwed the TeleVue filter and viewed M57 - lovely clear detail. Up to M27 and although the detail was brilliant I preferred the view in my 13mm Ethos. 

I then placed the filter into the ES68 24mm EP and viewed the Veil - again both element of the Veil were well shown although I prefer using my 20mm Myriad and a 2" O-III filter.

Again back to the 6mm Ethos and tracked down the Glob - NGC 7006 in Delphinus.

Pegasus had now risen quite high so went looking for C/2018 W2 (Africano) - able to star hop from star 82 and using the 20mm Myriad easily picked it. Used the 13mm, 9mm Myriad and 6mm Ethos to get a better view - certainly brighter than a few days ago.

Finally went south to view M30 and then finally the Helix Nebula. I wanted to test my various filter on the Helix using the 13mm Ethos. Filters used O-III Astronomic, TeleVue Nebustar, Lumicon UHC and finally Skies the Limit UHC. What came out best? I would say a tie between the TeleVue and Lumicon - both showed fine detail. The Astronomic was close but dimmer. Although the Skies the Limit showed the Helix the contrast was not so well defined.

So not a bad first night out - both EP and Filter showing good promise.

PS - I knew I missed something from my notes. After viewing the Comet I viewed the Blue Snowball and then into Aquarius to view M72 and the Saturn Nebula - all with the 6mm Ethos.

• Like 17

Sounds like you were pleased Mark, I too had one of the TeleVue filters from the recent sale.

I too was out last night, but only used my favoured Orion UltraBlock on the Veil's.
Totally forgot to try the new filter, but did try my 9mm DeLite from the same sale,
With which I delighted (get it 😂), so much so I might look at other DeLites.

Your comment on M57 and a filter was interesting, was looking at it with direct vision in the 9mm last night and 
was most impressed, what does a filter on this particular target bring out?

Edited by Alan White
typos of course
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alan White said:

Your comment on M57 and a filter was interesting, was looking at it with direct vision in the 9mm last night and 

Alan I don't normally use a filter to view M57 as it does not seem to improve things. However, last night the contrast just seemed better using this filter. Perhaps using more mag with the 6mm Ethos improved things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lovely report Mark. I must confess the 8mm ethos I bought from you is still my favourite ep...simply stunning. I too don't use a filter on M57 as I find no improvement. Here's to more good nights like this.

Clear skies!.

• Like 2

Great report Mark :smiley:

I'm glad you like the 6mm Ethos - it seems to be gathering quite a fan base as one of the best of the range.

I envy you your views of the Helix - my horizon in that direction is so cluttered that it's very difficult to catch sight of it from my garden :rolleyes2:

Great report & congrats on the purchases!  I must look up that TV filter vs say an O-III or UHC ...I'm not familiar with it.

The 6E is a favourite of mine in my 15" too - great EP;)

Edit:

Interesting filter! - I see the response plots on the TV website now

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=24&Tab=_spec

Edited by niallk

• 10 months later...
On 28/09/2019 at 07:07, Alan White said:

Sounds like you were pleased Mark, I too had one of the TeleVue filters from the recent sale.

I too was out last night, but only used my favoured Orion UltraBlock on the Veil's.
Totally forgot to try the new filter, but did try my 9mm DeLite from the same sale,
With which I delighted (get it 😂), so much so I might look at other DeLites.

I agree. My 9 mm Delete is something special!

Larry

2 hours ago, Laurence Behney said:

I agree. My 9 mm Delete is something special!

Larry

The thread was originally about the 6mm Ethos.

The 9mm DeLite is also very good I'm sure 😀

• Like 1