Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

is this a normal newtonian flat image?

No this is not normal. Is the centre over exposed?  You should not see a shadow of the secondary  but I doubt that is what you are seeing.

It should look like another flat brighter in the middle with some vignetting towards the edges.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s

I never have much luck with flats - either I get a nice smoot image or I get the above!  This is 25 of the subs stacked and its still there (unsurprisingly!) - the image stats show its not overexposed:

integration

K

count (%) 100.00000

count (px) 16389120

mean 28470.748

median 28769.440

avgDev 2090.349

MAD 2031.027

minimum 22828.140

maximum 33058.464

stackedflat.JPG

On 28/09/2019 at 12:25, andrew s said:

Is it a closed tube? The only things I can think of are stray light or reflections.

Regards Andrew 

I had a similar problem and found light was entering from around the primary. Quickly cured by covering the mirror end with a few thick bin bags. Didn't notice at night because no ambient light!!!

David

19 minutes ago, Peakedge said:

I had a similar problem and found light was entering from around the primary. Quickly cured by covering the mirror end with a few thick bin bags. Didn't notice at night because no ambient light!!!

David

Good thinking!  Bet thats what it was as it was a cracking sunny day (for a change!)