SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Trying to plan a trip a pain

Stephanie

Pretty much unpredictable in the UK. Best bet is a star party that way even if there is cloud you can still chat, have some drinks and talk 'business'.

Some of the best nights I have had viewing though have been when the forecast was for cloud. It just magically clears for a few hours and you're sorted.

• Like 1

I use Met Office forecast, then FLO Clear Outside plus Ventusky cloud cover map. Weather prediction is based on Chaos Theory, someone like the Met Office will model the 50 most likely scenarios and average them out I believe. If the three forecasts above are in agreement, then it should be good!

13 hours ago, Stephanie said:

Hi guys

I look at new moons, bortle level, but the hardest thing is clouds. I cancelled my attempted trip  due to unexpected clouds. . Can anyone educate me on stargazing partly cloudy? Are the stars still visible where the clouds are

It's the trickiest part of the hobby really. We try to put a monthly observing trip in with my group, with an option of two nights but still we struggle to get away because of a variety of things including the weather.

The worst thing is actually a forecast for a clear night but it ends up with thin cloud just bad enough to stop you seeing much, very frustrating. Patchy cloud and a moderate wind is ok as the clouds move through fairly quickly allowing you to find stuff in the gaps. Personally I struggle with this type of observing as I tend to get disorientated, but it is worth a go. Best times are often a clear sky after heavy rain as then the transparency is normally very good.

Binoculars for their immediacy at sweeping through parts of the sky that have holes or are clear of cloud. This spontaneous approach can enable you to grab at, such, as for example the double cluster before the cloud might engulf it. It is frustrating, you do need to be aware and alert to what targets might be (impulsively) located at a certain clear constellation. Breezy conditions as mentioned when there is patchy cloud is quite necessary for continuing opening up observing opportunities. 

• Like 1

My society tries to offer public sessions at our observatory a couple of times a month from October through to around June but the reality is that more than 50% of these get scrubbed due to poor conditions. 

If someone was relying on such sessions for their observing then they might only get a handfull in during  a year, at best.

As Iain says, a spontaneous approach with your own gear at or close to home will usually deliver much more observing.

Binoculars or a light grab and go scope and mount come in handy for times when there might only be a limited time before clouds roll in. Last night I managed a brief look at Jupiter and Saturn from my back garden before clouds fully rolled in. If planning any trip then if possible keep options open for those small chances when views between breaks in clouds occurs by using binos or smaller scopes etc.

• Like 1

There is no solution to unexpected clouds. But having viewing options as advised in earlier replies is a big help.

Also experience counts. A bit like going camping or on holiday.
After a few outings, you get used to what you need to take and can have everything ready to go in a short time.
The same aplies to the on site setup time. After a few outings, you get to be able to assemble the kit with your eyes closed - or a on a dark site!

Hope the replies help to keep you enthusiastic.

David.

Well, this hobby makes you learn more about weather than about astronomy.

Basically no weather is good for us, its either too cold or too hot or there is wind or no wind and high humidity. If by any chance it all comes together and it's perfect turns out I cannot go because of the commitments.

But hey, this year I bagged 4 new moons at the dark site and I consider that a massive success before snows cut it off from our reach. Just came back today...we went for two days and the forecast was okayish for the first night and meh for the second night. One guy cancelled because he was rational. The irrational part of the group went and enjoyed two clear nights. The second one was high humidity, but still. 

I guess this makes it even for the night when I went and the forecast was clear...and we ended up under 100 percent overcast sky.