Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Very first bash at astro sketching

MaHa

Hello everyone, 

This is a very first for me - you'll usually find me skulking around somewhere in the binocular sections. However, I found myself at a loose end tonight and figured I'd like to try my hand at my very first sketch. So here it is, M45. I'd also like to point out that this is not my view of the Pleiades, it's simply a picture I have been looking at, just to practice. 

I hope to be able to work on some more original pieces and improve my sketching skills during the dark nights of the upcoming winter. 

Mark. 

IMG_20190927_200019.jpg

• Like 13

Just been talking about the Pleiades in another observing section. Sketching in the dark fills me with fear, how do I look at the target and sketch without ruining night vision.

MaHa you have to give it a go, I recognise the Pleiades from your drawing. I will too if someone highlights the basics on how this is done. Do we use black paper and chalk or something more modern?

M

Hi Marvin, 

I'm absolutely a complete novice at this, but I've read other places that people use a clipboard and red torch to do a 'rough' sketch whilst outside, then they do a final copy once more comfortable indoors. 

As far as the white on black 'negative' effect goes, I'm afraid I've no clue whatsoever! 

Thank you for a recognising my drawing, it's much appreciated!! 

😂

Mark 

That is an absolutely magnificent sketch. Did you use ink? The stars look jet black and very rich in a pleasant way.

Sure you will make many more great sketches if you continue like this. Really adds another dimension to observing, go for it! 

Edit: Right I see the pencil now, nevertheless a nice deep look to those stars.

Edited by davhei
  • Thanks 1

Im by no means the best astrosketcher, but I usually do black on white sketches. I use a clipboard and a small red torch attached to it. My sketches are part of my note sheet. For pencil I usually just use a #2 and I use my finger to smudge. 

Rob

IMG_20190722_212702.jpg

• Like 3

Great sketch. I do sketches in a similar way but the reverse the colours in the basic phone software. There are lots of sketches here which might give some ideas. I often do a rough one at the eyepiece with exaggerated sizes to help with a neater version done later. It's great fun and improves your observing too.

Here's my M45 if you click the photo it should take you to the thread.

20170125_213147.jpg

• Like 3

Practising indoors with a photo is a great idea @MaHa, getting the technique right and working out how to get positions correct is tricky.

I converted and tweaked your sketch in my phone just as an example. If you get more even illumination on the original then it is easier to get a good converted result.

PSX_20190929_093310.jpg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Stu said:

Practising indoors with a photo is a great idea @MaHa, getting the technique right and working out how to get positions correct is tricky.

I converted and tweaked your sketch in my phone just as an example. If you get more even illumination on the original then it is easier to get a good converted result.

PSX_20190929_093310.jpg

Thanks stu, 

I'm going to have a play about with pixlr app and see what I can come up with. 

I'll try and take a better original photo too, I hadn't actually taken that into account. 

Cheers, Mark 

That's turned out quite nicely.  Sketching is also a great way to appreciate certain objects.. but as others have mentioned getting the positioning of the stars right is the challenge - especially at the EP or binocular with a red torch..

• Like 1