Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Daylight setup

Simon128D

Hey folks,
Something I have been wondering about recently. For the last 15 years of observing with a scope I have always setup my mount near or just after sunset so I can then polar align quickly as soon as I can. After watching some online videos and looking a star party photos I've noticed that a lot of folks actually set up everything during the day time. 
How do you go about setting up a mount and scope for being polar aligned during the day light? 
I did try it once and required me to move the mount a considerable amount and an EQ6 Pro with a 10" Newt on it is not something you go lifting, so to avoid disassembly I have always just setup near dark. 

Both common sense tips there. Unable to mark the ground as I set up on gravel. I have tried the compass many years ago and was not close enough for me to just get away with using the mount knobs to achieve polar alignment. 
I should try doing that again sometime. 

Edited by Simon128D

1 minute ago, Simon128D said:

Both common sense tips there. Unable to mark the ground as I set up on gravel. I have tried the compass many years ago and was not close enough for me to just get away with using the mount knobs to achieve polar alignment. 
I should try doing that again sometime. 

you have to make sure you're pointing true north not magnetic. you have to check where you are in the world to account for variation which can be quite different from magnetic north.

as for the gravel, drive a few wooden pegs into the ground that can be covered with the gravel but easy enough to find when setting up

Don't know if any help, but I've hammered pieces of pipe into the ground, into which the tip of the tripod legs fit. You could cover them with gravel as long as you can find them again somehow and just expose them when you setting up. 

• Like 1

I almost always set up during the day.  A compass gets me close enough to see Polaris through the polar scope, and with enough mount adjustment to polar align. 

What I like about setting up so early is that I've got time to carefully balance the scope, set up my computer, and make sure the mount and cameras connect up and are working. I then come inside, have something to eat, get changed into my warmer clothes before going out just as Polaris makes an appearance.  Minds you it helps being retired. 🙂 

18 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

you have to make sure you're pointing true north not magnetic. you have to check where you are in the world to account for variation which can be quite different from magnetic north.

as for the gravel, drive a few wooden pegs into the ground that can be covered with the gravel but easy enough to find when setting up

How do you go about getting a true north with a compass? This is probably why when I did use a compass all I could do is setup using magnetic north and was too far off. 

2 minutes ago, Simon128D said:

How do you go about getting a true north with a compass? This is probably why when I did use a compass all I could do is setup using magnetic north and was too far off. 

Fortunately, at the moment Magnetic North and True North are almost exactly the same in the UK!

54 minutes ago, Simon128D said:

it varies throughout the UK but can get pretty extreme around the world, google will let you know what it is in your area, UK is anywhere from 0-3 degrees. you also have to account for deviation which is the local environment effecting the compass. to minimise the metal tripod causing deviation use the compass to find true north with the tripod out of the way, use a stick to mark it then bring the tripod back and placed in the right 

1 hour ago, Simon128D said:

O.S maps will tell you the deference between grid,true and magnetic north. I always use both compass and map together that'll get my set up close enough to use the polemaster software when it gets dark enough.