Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

FLO

NEW Rowan AZ100 Alt-Az Mount

26 minutes ago, Anne S said:

Where did you get those knobs? I find Altair's hard to tighten.

They are M8 threaded ones from WDS Ltd. Not cheap though but so much better than those Altair knobs. I used some 5mm thick M8 nylon washers under the knobs as the thread length was just a couple of mm short. They also do them in polished finish but I preferedd the matt.

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/product/5500/tri-knob-with-threaded-hole-316-stainless-steel-matt-finish-wds-8147/

Edited by johninderby

17 hours ago, djpaul said:

BTW. 

I would be interested in knowing if most people are ordering just the basic mount with or without any accessories?

Saddles,encoders,etc?

Regards Paul 

I went with the mount, encoders, dsc and counterweight bar, but cheaped out and bought an AZEQ6 counterweight. Intend on using a Primaluce clamp

Think i will get the first mod out there - 2 x 25mm nylon spinlock clamps to hold counterweights instead of fiddling with the screw on the end of the bar.

Edited by omo
  • Thanks 1

I've been following this with interest and saw the mount at the IAS.

A smaller lighter version would be up my street but it would have to have slow motion controls.

I can't envisage me using encoders but I can see the benefits of them and guess the facility/option to have them would hold up the resale value.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Paz said:

I've been following this with interest and saw the mount at the IAS.

A smaller lighter version would be up my street but it would have to have slow motion controls.

I can't envisage me using encoders but I can see the benefits of them and guess the facility/option to have them would hold up the resale value.

I agree on all but the slow motions.
A smaller encoder fitted mount from Rowan would be great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paz said:

Although it's fit and finish are not in the same league as the AZ100, the Skytee II would fall into the category that you mention. I did compare the AZ100 with my Skytee II and the latter held up surprisingly well considering the price difference. Not quite as good at vibration damping but not far off.

But if you want something new, shiny and black, the Skytee II is not that of course !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John said:

But if you want something new, shiny and black, the Skytee II is not that of course !

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

56A29357-9593-4370-BD59-3396ED2B8238.jpeg

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, John said:

Although it's fit and finish are not in the same league as the AZ100, the Skytee II would fall into the category that you mention. I did compare the AZ100 with my Skytee II and the latter held up surprisingly well considering the price difference. Not quite as good at vibration damping but not far off.

I guess there may be a run of second hand mounts being sold to make way for one of these. Something that will benefit anyone able to take advantage at this time.

Unfortunately my astro budget has been hammered recently and I'm not going to get political approval for any significant acquisitions for some time!

• Like 1