SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Silly question on setting up azgti wifi

This seems a silly question but telescopes come with scant instructions no matter how sophisticated or expensive!  So, is it of any importance when mounting a mak on an azgti wifi, that the scope must be mounted on the left side of the mount (left as in the direction the scope is pointing, as you stand behind it), and does the mounting screw need to be at the top ?   Every pic I have seen shows the ota mounted in this way and I've only just realised it.  will this have an effect on the goto accuracy?

I feel a bit silly asking but I'm sure one or two of you will have the answer.

Thanks

Dave

Ah well, I found this out to my cost at a solar observing outreach event when the crowd kept complaining that the Sun was drifting out of view.  Woops, I had it 180' out.   This is the setup that always works for me when pointing North for a North level alignment; offering perfect GoTo and tracking ability. 🤩

IMG_2588.jpg.b35d583fb5670391035aa80364970158.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, davekelley said:

I have had a few problems with alignment!  Perhaps this is the key...........

Maybe so.  I've not tried to align from scratch mounting it the other way, but somebody may have done so and will comment.   Also, don't forget to use the UP and RIGHT arrows to align your targets before hitting enter on the App. 

• Like 1

There are 2 firmware versions for the AZGTI. It is important that the scope is mounted on the side supported by the version of firmware. Also if you use the right side azeg firmware then even when using the mount in AZ mode the scope must be on the right.

Steve

• Like 1

As @Steve Clay says, you need to mount it on whichever side your firmware version supports (which I believe the standard version is on the left, as pictured by @Owmuchonomy).  And no, it doesn't matter which way up the mounting screw is although it's much more accessible to mount your scope with eh screw at the top - obviously :)   As or accuracy, this is really limited to the accuracy of the alignment process.  I sometime struggle with the 'level north' process because I'm apparently not very good at finding north.  Actually I think it's because I use my iPhone as a compass and it's not accurate enough n this scenario.  I should really just get a 'real' compass.