Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Milky Way from the Isles of Silly

Image was taken during a 2 week holiday on the Isles of Silly. One single 2 minute image taken with an un-modded Canon 7D and Tokina lens. Tracking was done with a clockwork tracker (Omegon LX2).

MW9WINNER-XL.jpg

Edited by Z3roCool
Spelling
  • Like 29

2 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

That is amazing. Everything I am aiming for in the future. Thanks for the motivation, brilliant. Any details on ISO and exposure length, plus any dark arts I am unaware?

Thanks for the kind words :) This was the first Milky Way shot I have ever tried, Normally do DSO work with my setup. Cannot remember the exact settings, will dig out original and take a look when on my home PC. Best thing to do is just get setup with tracker in the darkest sky you can and just play. I think this was set about ISO 800 and wide open (f2.8) and then adjusted to get the right exposure. The clockwork tracker I used seemed to get to about 2 minute exposure maximum before star trails became obvious. Once I had worked that out I just adjusted the ISO to suit the exposure of the image. I did take a numbr of images but still not been able to stack very well so just the single image for this one.

I connect my camera up to my laptop and use BackyardEOS (Or Astro Photograpghy Tool) so it makes it easy to look at the subs very quickly and adjust settings in software.

Good luck :)

1 hour ago, Oldfort said:

Tresco is one of my favourite places.  Just getting there is an adventure, and the helicopter service restarts next spring.

Yep, love it there. Ferry over was not great this time. My little 3 year old who loves the sea was green as a parrot and slept the entire way (Never sleeps in the day....ever!) Next time I plan on going up to the castle ruins and shooting down the bay between Tresco and Bryher with the Milky Way in the background.

1 hour ago, Ships and Stars said:

Great photo! Isles of Scilly are the only part of England I'm aware of that have any Bortle 1 conditions on some of the smaller islands. I lived in Cornwall for a bit but never made it over.

Thanks, yep. It is dark!

My brother lives in Cornwall, he just loves surfing so the dark sky is wasted on him! :D 

• Haha 1