Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

C/2018 W2 (Africano) animation

100 odd frames "real time" animation of Africano on 1-09-19 / 02-09-19 continuous 120sec exposures started 22.23 ended 02.09

Been messing about with this on and off, could do with more work but it'll have to do, it's the thought that counts 😂

Shrunk it to tiny JPEGs but it's still 40mbs

Dave

Animation.gif.a598a49a3d37c5ec9c03e241a36583d9.gif

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 25

43 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Absolutely awesome stuff Dave. What scope and camera did you use for this? I'm hoping to do the same at some point. 

Hi Ahmed, used the Atik4000OSC on the SCT, use colour camera on comets as it's hard enough assembling animation without messing around with RGB filters.

Lot's of artefacts introduced by downsizing to JPEG.

Dave

• Like 1

That’s a brilliant animation, really tells a story about the object in relation to its position relative to us on earth.

Took ~80 CMOS OSC Subs of this comet the other night,  trouble is the comet was re-centered on the sensor after each run but I guess if I saved the registered frames it may be possible to make an amination from these albeit with a limited FOV? You have inspired me to give it a go.

• Like 1

Thanks, I have a lot more frames but at the moment I am converting each one to a jpeg file manually, and my hand went numb! I was intending to have one seamless animation but maybe there was too much movement of the background star field to register all the frames together in APP, although no error messages were flagged up during the processing.

I need to investigate further.

Just started another run on Africano, looks brighter than last time and moving faster, couple of false starts had it heading out of frame at first then camera disconnected itself, restarted and forgot to switch on cooling again but running now, bit of cloud around just hoping in misses where I'm aimed.

Dave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomato said:

I thought imaging DSOs was tricky,  but comets are on another level.

Just having another go at Africano last nights attempt got a bit disjointed by clouds, if it stays clear comet ASASSN will be up later and much later T2 Panstarrs.

Dave

Well done again Dave, it looks great. Seems to be getting brighter now. Been away at Kelling this last week but now back so am looking forward to imaging it again at the first opportunity I get with my ODK.

Bob..

58 minutes ago, bob-c said:

Well done again Dave, it looks great. Seems to be getting brighter now. Been away at Kelling this last week but now back so am looking forward to imaging it again at the first opportunity I get with my ODK.

Bob..

Thanks Bob, you need to get it ASAP as it's heading rapidly south and the Moon will be interfering again soon.

Managed to catch Africano, Asassn and Panstarrs one after the other a few nights ago but haven't got around to processing them yet.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

11 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Thanks Bob, you need to get it ASAP as it's heading rapidly south and the Moon will be interfering again soon.

Managed to catch Africano, Asassn and Panstarrs one after the other a few nights ago but haven't got around to processing them yet.

Dave

Hi Dave, I managed to catch it in the early hours this morning, and blimey it has moved south a lot since I last imaged it...I was amazed at how low it was.

I completely forgot about Asassn and Panstars  as after Africano I went straight to my main imaging of M33. I hope that I can catch them when another opportunity arises.

Regards Bob. 

• Like 1