Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eos 1100d or 550d

Calzune

I have an canon eos 1100d that I want to astromod. And I know someone that can do it for me for around 50$.

But he asked me if I want to buy an astromodded canon 550d for 160$ instead.

What offer should I take? 

Is the 550d better than 1100d?

Can't compare directly, but looking at the details there are 2 main differences. The 550d has slightly smaller pixels (4.3 micron vs 5.2 in the 1100d). Not a huge difference but it might make one a better match for your scope than the other in terms of pixel scale. The 550d also has marginally higher QE (40% vs 36%), but I doubt this will be significant enough to sway the choice. 

3 minutes ago, GraemeH said:

Can't compare directly, but looking at the details there are 2 main differences. The 550d has slightly smaller pixels (4.3 micron vs 5.2 in the 1100d). Not a huge difference but it might make one a better match for your scope than the other in terms of pixel scale. The 550d also has marginally higher QE (40% vs 36%), but I doubt this will be significant enough to sway the choice. 

Okey thanks so the price difference isnt worth it in your opinion? It's better to just upgrade my eos 1100s for 50$?

Might be more to consider than just the specifications. If the 550d has a much lower shutter count for example, that might make it a better choice. I wouldn't like to sway your decision one way or the other, because I have no experience of using the 550d (I do have the 1100d and think it performs quite well). 

2 hours ago, GraemeH said:

Might be more to consider than just the specifications. If the 550d has a much lower shutter count for example, that might make it a better choice. I wouldn't like to sway your decision one way or the other, because I have no experience of using the 550d (I do have the 1100d and think it performs quite well). 

Hmm Okey. I have used my eos 1100d very very little over the years so it's like brand new.. 

Edited by Calzune

I have a 550d and it has been superb. It and only one other (60d) have a special movie crop mode where the middle of the sensor is used to record 640x480 1:1 video for e.g. planets.

With all Canon cameras they can develop a degree of banding but this can be removed using Fitswork4 or other tools.

Edited by prusling
correction
  • Like 1

Just now, michael8554 said:

Be aware that the 1100D does not have the piezo electric "shake" cleaning function that every other Canon has, definitely made to a budget. 

Michael 

What does that do?

2 hours ago, prusling said:

I have owned astromodded versions of both and the 550D just smashes the 1100D in my opinion! I can´t give you any technical reasons to why that would be the case, it´s just my experience. But one thing I had huge problems with on the 1100D is vertical dark lines below bright stars. I know this does not occur on every specimen of the 1100D but it is not uncommon. For me it´s a nobrainer. I loved that 550D and would be using it still if I hadn´t gone mono cooled camera.

• Like 1

I have a 1100d which i have modded myself which is a lot easy to mod then a 550d.

I have no banding on my camera, maybe Martin got a bad one. It is 5.2 microns, depends what you want really and how its going to match your setup.

Nadeem.