SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Confused on what to do

Andy55

Hello all 

So I'm trying to figure out some aspects of taking some images...I am looking for some channels on set up I have a cannon 7D rebel mark2 also have the cannon m5...I am 100% new to it all I have researched online about settings but everything I reading I cant get my camera set up with no lens I cant set my aperture...issues with trying to get it into manual focus I ordered the t ring attachment but I belive I got the wrong one. what I have been seeing is a small adapter the one I recived is about 3" to long I belive  (so I'm curious to here from everybody what I need to get for begginer set up) I'm using a meade ldx75 mount with a SN 10".

I relize its alot of questions I'm hoping I can get some links to good tutorials or some advice from you all.

Andy

5 minutes ago, Andy55 said:

I cant get my camera set up with no lens I cant set my aperture

Should be a setting lurking somewhere in the camera menus to shoot without lens or something similar, no aperture to set on camera and focus on scope not camera.

Dave

Thanks Dave! So many different explanations on how to do it...so many say to change the aperture good to know...ya I have been using the scope to focus just been having a issue with the camera wanting to auto focus trying to find that setting lol....it says it's in mf but still tries to af and the t ring I got is way to long I ordered the right one...do you know if theres anything else I need? So threads say to add a barlow lens  is that true? Some also say to order a focuser attachment?

Using a DSLR without the lens, presumably you are putting it into a telescope and have a T ring and T piece, or similar.  You won't get autofocus, you need to focus the telescope which is acting as the lens.

Use 800iso and Manual mode.

I presume this is what you are trying to do.

Carole 

14 hours ago, carastro said:

Using a DSLR without the lens, presumably you are putting it into a telescope and have a T ring and T piece, or similar.  You won't get autofocus, you need to focus the telescope which is acting as the lens.

Use 800iso and Manual mode.

I presume this is what you are trying to do.

Carole 

Hi Carole

I was trying it with my cannon m5 since it's a mirrorless camera and extreamly light but it wouldn't take a pic without a lens on. I do have the t ring attachment but I belive I ordered the wrong on its 3 inches in length....I'm not sure if the camera was still trying to focuse after I focused with the scope...its all sounding so confusing lol...I ordered a smaller t ring going to look into a Bahtinov mask...I know nothing on how to do this having a blast trying to learn thanks to all for advice 

andy

2 hours ago, Andy55 said:

Hi Carole

I was trying it with my cannon m5 since it's a mirrorless camera and extreamly light but it wouldn't take a pic without a lens on. I do have the t ring attachment but I belive I ordered the wrong on its 3 inches in length....I'm not sure if the camera was still trying to focuse after I focused with the scope...its all sounding so confusing lol...I ordered a smaller t ring going to look into a Bahtinov mask...I know nothing on how to do this having a blast trying to learn thanks to all for advice 

andy

Aha, so this isn't a DSLR. I've no idea if you can shoot without a lens on these. It might be worth starting a thread headed 'Mirrorless camera in scope?' or some such.

Olly

53 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Aha, so this isn't a DSLR. I've no idea if you can shoot without a lens on these. It might be worth starting a thread headed 'Mirrorless camera in scope?' or some such.

Olly

Ok thanks olly...I will do that!