Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Ags

Celestron C6

I have been slowly putting together a flexible setup consisting of a Berlebach Report 112 short tripod, and a Castor alt-az for undriven visual dual scope DSO hunting, and an AZ-GTi for goto and planetary viewing and imaging. I am looking at upgrading my planetary/lunar scope from a Skymax 102 to something a bit bigger that still falls into the grab and go category and can still be carried by the AZ-GTi. I keep coming back to the C6: weighing around 3.8 kgs it would fit in the carry capacity of the mount when loaded up with accessories. At F10 it is a better fit for my ASI178MM camera (2.4 um pixels) than the F13 Mak, and 6 inches of aperture would be much better for planetary imaging. The greater aperture would be kinder on my eyes for visual planetary observing. It would go nicely on the Castor opposite my ST80 for DSO hunting, particularly with 6.3 reducer. But it's a lot of money - am I missing something?

Well, if you are, so am I! :smiley:

I do not have the C6 but the C5, along with an AZGTi, ( when it comes back from FLO after attention, because it was faulty, ) it seems to work very well. My only regret is that I did not go for the C6, which is only a little heavier and was the same price. Still is the same price in one place. https://grovers.biz/optics/optical-tube-assemblies/7509-celestron-nexstar-evolution-6-ota.html

They have several different versions, not all the same price, even though they each have the same standard optics, I am assured... :undecided:

Edited by Greymouser
  • Thanks 1

@Ags

You have summed it up nicely.

I would add that I wrapped my C6 with 2 layers of reflectix, the views are now much more stable and the corrector takes significantly longer to dew up.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I have heard that trick works well - but it doesn't have the aesthetic refinement I require from my setup 😃

• Haha 1

Hi @Ags.

Below is an single frame image of Mars I took during the opposition in April 2014...

P4080017.thumb.JPG.6c828e1845e0261f8b1f88c31e93cab9.JPG

...taken with an Olympus Camedia C2040, handheld over a TeleVue 6mm Radian + neodymium filter and Celestron C6/SCT from a hotel garden near LHR.

Depending on how good your eyes are, or monitor is, there is a teeny-weeny bit of visible surface detail, as Mars was a having a dust storm at the time. 

Please feel free to save and play about with the image to enhance it.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

Just revisiting this thread - still not sure the AZ-GTi can take a C6. I have started saving for one anyway 😀

Does anyone have any new thoughts or experiences on the C6 + AZ-GTi combo?

Well, the C6 weighs 3.8 kgs plus accessories, so that should be ok. But it is getting close - that's why I am looking for real-world experiences.

Could you load up your 102 to that weight and see how the combo feels.

I don't think so - it's not just the weight but also the diameter and length. I am just going to trust the manufacturer's specs - the AZ GTi says it can take 5 kilos so I'll go with that! 

And I now have a C6 winging its way to me... 😜

Edited by Ags