Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron C6

Ags

I have been slowly putting together a flexible setup consisting of a Berlebach Report 112 short tripod, and a Castor alt-az for undriven visual dual scope DSO hunting, and an AZ-GTi for goto and planetary viewing and imaging. I am looking at upgrading my planetary/lunar scope from a Skymax 102 to something a bit bigger that still falls into the grab and go category and can still be carried by the AZ-GTi. I keep coming back to the C6: weighing around 3.8 kgs it would fit in the carry capacity of the mount when loaded up with accessories. At F10 it is a better fit for my ASI178MM camera (2.4 um pixels) than the F13 Mak, and 6 inches of aperture would be much better for planetary imaging. The greater aperture would be kinder on my eyes for visual planetary observing. It would go nicely on the Castor opposite my ST80 for DSO hunting, particularly with 6.3 reducer. But it's a lot of money - am I missing something?

Well, if you are, so am I! :smiley:

I do not have the C6 but the C5, along with an AZGTi, ( when it comes back from FLO after attention, because it was faulty, ) it seems to work very well. My only regret is that I did not go for the C6, which is only a little heavier and was the same price. Still is the same price in one place. https://grovers.biz/optics/optical-tube-assemblies/7509-celestron-nexstar-evolution-6-ota.html

They have several different versions, not all the same price, even though they each have the same standard optics, I am assured... :undecided:

Edited by Greymouser
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Ags.

Below is an single frame image of Mars I took during the opposition in April 2014...

P4080017.thumb.JPG.6c828e1845e0261f8b1f88c31e93cab9.JPG

...taken with an Olympus Camedia C2040, handheld over a TeleVue 6mm Radian + neodymium filter and Celestron C6/SCT from a hotel garden near LHR.

Depending on how good your eyes are, or monitor is, there is a teeny-weeny bit of visible surface detail, as Mars was a having a dust storm at the time. 

Please feel free to save and play about with the image to enhance it.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just revisiting this thread - still not sure the AZ-GTi can take a C6. I have started saving for one anyway 😀

Does anyone have any new thoughts or experiences on the C6 + AZ-GTi combo?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think so - it's not just the weight but also the diameter and length. I am just going to trust the manufacturer's specs - the AZ GTi says it can take 5 kilos so I'll go with that! 

• 4 months later...
On 28/02/2020 at 00:26, Ags said:

And I now have a C6 winging its way to me... 😜

Hi Agnes,

I'm also considering a C6 for my AZ-GTi, I found one at a good price. I would use it only for observing as well as planetary imaging.

Any feedback? 🙂

The setup  works very well (aside from an unrelated fault in the AZ-GTi). The mount carries the load well and goto is accurate. Optics are one step below a Maksutov in my opinion but good enough, and in my case much improved on all targets and magnifications with 6.3 reducer. I have had to learn my way round collimation though, but collimating an SCT is really simple compared to a Newt (in my opinion).

I have not tried planetary imaging yet but I have been delighted with my results on the Moon  with my ZWO ASI 178 MM.

clavius.png.4f069e8ae2d920d2ecc9a3497e92138c.pngm13-1-1.thumb.png.f666bdaf7eb5dbcd105ff5524315556d.png

Edited by Ags
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 21/07/2020 at 17:46, Ags said:

The setup  works very well (aside from an unrelated fault in the AZ-GTi). The mount carries the load well and goto is accurate. Optics are one step below a Maksutov in my opinion but good enough, and in my case much improved on all targets and magnifications with 6.3 reducer. I have had to learn my way round collimation though, but collimating an SCT is really simple compared to a Newt (in my opinion).

I have not tried planetary imaging yet but I have been delighted with my results on the Moon  with my ZWO ASI 178 MM.

clavius.png.4f069e8ae2d920d2ecc9a3497e92138c.pngm13-1-1.thumb.png.f666bdaf7eb5dbcd105ff5524315556d.png

Hi there,

I am pretty much following the same route here. I have the AZ-GTI and am looking at the  Celestron C6. But I thought the C6 is 4.54kg. Is there a version that's 3.8kg ?

And how have you been with the C6 and AZ-GTI after a couple of months now ?

34 minutes ago, DroneSaif said:

Hi there,

I am pretty much following the same route here. I have the AZ-GTI and am looking at the  Celestron C6. But I thought the C6 is 4.54kg. Is there a version that's 3.8kg ?

And how have you been with the C6 and AZ-GTI after a couple of months now ?

The C6 is 3.8kgs

• Thanks 1

3.8 kg is an often quoted value, but that seems to be the weight with a diagonal and random eyepiece. I have weighed just the OTA and I measure 3.3 kgs.

Edited by Ags

• 2 weeks later...

I expect it would be hard to tell the views in a C6 and Skymax 127 apart unless you had them set up side by side. The C6 would just be a small incremental improvement over the C6 in terms of light gathering and resolution. The main argument for the C6 is it is the biggest aperture you can put on an AZ-GTi.

• Like 2

I’ve found the AZGTi can take over 5kg quite happily. I use it with my Tak Epsilon 130d, which is 4.9kg without eyepiece/camera. C6 would be no trouble. Glad you’re enjoying yours Agnes - it’s a really nice compromise as a true grab and go but with decent aperture. Maks should be a a little bit sharper, but the C6 is a better all round scope in my view.

• Like 2

On 27/09/2020 at 10:13, Ags said:

I expect it would be hard to tell the views in a C6 and Skymax 127 apart unless you had them set up side by side. The C6 would just be a small incremental improvement over the C6 in terms of light gathering and resolution. The main argument for the C6 is it is the biggest aperture you can put on an AZ-GTi.

Though I do not own either the Skymax 127 or the AZ-GTI I too find there is a "...small incremental improvement..." with my C6 and ETX105. (image below).

post-4682-0-08081900-1394160327_thumb.jpg