SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DISPATCH FROM KELLING

paulastro

Great news for KELLING 2020.  When i arrived yesterday and booked for next year found out it's from October 12th to 19th.  Mars opposition is on October 14th.  !!!

On Oct 14th Mars is mag -2.6, 22.3 arcseconds and over 42 degrees altitude when it transits the meridian.  What's more it rises at 6.09 am and doesn't set until 7.17am. FABULOUS.

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Weather for this year looks pretty crud though alas! :( 

Last night Tropical Storm Humberton arrived with heavy rain and very windy.  Still continuing as I write this in the tent.  It should ease up this evening with some clear patches later.  Then clear patches for the next few days with rain at times.  If it does clear to any degree the sky should be very transparent 😁.Managed some nice solar views with a friend's solar scope yesterday.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Last night Tropical Storm Humberton arrived with heavy rain and very windy.  Still continuing as I write this in the tent.  It should ease up this evening with some clear patches later.  Then clear patches for the next few days with rain at times.  If it does clear to any degree the sky should be very transparent 😁.Managed some nice solar views with a friend's solar scope yesterday.

Hope you do get some clear skies. Fingers crossed for you all! 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Like 1

On 24/09/2019 at 07:48, paulastro said:

When i arrived yesterday and booked for next year found out it's from October 12th to 19th. 

I was wondering, it`s normally held in September but have now gone the for month later.  I can never normally get to Kelling in the Autumn because both my childrens birthdays are centered aroung the equinox and I had best be around to help them celebrate! Maybe the new moon in September 2020 was considered a bit too early? 

Hope you all get some clear spells this weekend.

Edited by Phil Fargaze

It's later because the date the organisers wanted clashed with a forties weekend, also taking place at KELLING and it was given priority.  Apparently it's a much bigger event.  Hence it was moved to the next new moon.  I'm rather pleased it now coincides with the Mars opposition. 😁