Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M27 - The Dumbbell - RGB

Buzzard75

I did two edits. One is just RGB and the other is LRGB. The one without the L has a bit more color. The one with the L though seemed to show just a bit more detail in the nebula and made all the stars a bit brighter. Not sure which one I like better. In any event, I didn't get as much data as I had wanted. I planned at least four hours, but APT kept having issues. It started out by taking five exposures in a row and then it would hang up when starting the sixth. It kept telling me I needed to "Please input exposure duration between 0 and 0s, and restart exposure." I updated software and checked a box in the settings to enable higher CCD compatibility. I then got through 11 exposures. Thinking the problem was solved, I went to bed and woke up a few hours later to find my mount tracking right along, but APT was having issues again and had only made it through 21 exposures rather than 80. No idea what's wrong with it. Might have to try a different USB cable or something.

Here are the two edits. I have a larger frame, but this is cropped down to the interesting bits.

7-8x180s exposures of LRGB each (ZWO filters)
Calibrated with flats, darks and dark flats
ASI183MM Pro
William Optics Redcat 51
iOptron CEM40EC (unguided)
Captured with APT and processed in PixInsight and touchups in Photoshop

RGB less G_PS (cropped).jpg

LRGB less G_PS (cropped).jpg

• Like 3