SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cygnus Wall

Rodd

TOA 130 with ASI 1600 and Astrodon 3nm filters.  I decided to reshoot this target to compare with the widefield crop.  

Ha: 93 300 sec

OIII: 96 300 sec

SII: 100 300sec

Second and third image shows the separation in the double star near the rim of the lower wall-- I used this as a benchmark for my subs.  If there was no separation, I did not use them.  From what I can see, it takes a pretty good night and careful processig to achieve total sparation--even with very large telescopes.  

921720512_2a1c2-2.thumb.jpg.c78b298ad4f933ad217c8b7b13b17f59.jpg

Crop-Stars.jpg.4571828e29e1d91f493bac8383134ad8.jpg

2a-1c2-crop.thumb.jpg.37cdc824fd58761ffb323b1e5d66862e.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 13

Very nice image. Even the enlarged image is clear and shows great definition.

I think the quality of your images are astounding and is a real insight for me in how far I have to go with imaging to get even near this sort of quality.

I just tried this on a recent image of mine and there was no separation.  In fact what I thought was a reasonable image when viewed in it's entirety looks awful when I zoom in to make scale similar to your enlarged image.

image.png.4ec9b30df961d97db3cc6bf4eff5f206.png

Is that just the quality of my scope, my lack of knowledge in the processing side,or is it just poor data (or maybe lack of data - WO Z73, ZWO 1600 Mono Pro, 9x 400s Baadar Ha 3.5 Nm, 8x 400s Baader OIII 4.5 Nm, 7x 400s Baader SII 8Nm)  that I have over-stretched.

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang

4 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Is that just the quality of my scope, my lack of knowledge in the processing side,or is it just poor data (or maybe lack of data - WO Z73, ZWO 1600 Mono Pro, 9x 400s Baadar Ha 3.5 Nm, 8x 400s Baader OIII 4.5 Nm, 7x 400s Baader SII 8Nm)  that I have over-stretched.

Thanks Teoria.   Unless you have very dark, clear, stable sky I would say the amount of data is a big part of it.  I have seen very well processed images created from 3 hours of data--but that is quite the challenge...I certainly can't do it with my sky.  You can tell the star is a double in your image--that's about the average appearance I have found with respect to separation, so not too bad.  The details in the edge of the wall are visible, and I'd say focus was on, and guiding seems to have been spot on too--you just need more photons!   Also--it is very hard to get the separation in a zoom of a widefield image.  I posted one I took with the FSQ 106 and .6x reducer that had less separation than yours, so Take heart--I do not think its the equipment.  The WO Z73 is an APO...and most apos these days are quite good.  I did not realize Baader made a 3.5nm Ha filter- Baaders are decent--I have a set of the normal ones (7.5nm and 8 nm).   Keep at it.

Rodd

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

I agree with Steve above, stunning detail in that capture, think I know what scope to get for my next one when i can prize 5 grand of my money from the wife😀.

Alan

Thanks Alan.  Or...maybe set up 4 more moderately priced, lighter scopes on two mounts for a truly blazing fast data vacuum for about the same cost!  I know it gets complicated with duplication--and the money adds up, but you get my point.

Rodd

16 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Thanks Teoria.   Unless you have very dark, clear, stable sky I would say the amount of data is a big part of it.  I have seen very well processed images created from 3 hours of data--but that is quite the challenge...I certainly can't do it with my sky.  You can tell the star is a double in your image--that's about the average appearance I have found with respect to separation, so not too bad.  The details in the edge of the wall are visible, and I'd say focus was on, and guiding seems to have been spot on too--you just need more photons!   Also--it is very hard to get the separation in a zoom of a widefield image.  I posted one I took with the FSQ 106 and .6x reducer that had less separation than yours, so Take heart--I do not think its the equipment.  The WO Z73 is an APO...and most apos these days are quite good.  I did not realize Baader made a 3.5nm Ha filter- Baaders are decent--I have a set of the normal ones (7.5nm and 8 nm).   Keep at it.

Rodd

Thanks for that, it does help to know that I am going in the right direction.

It was only about 2 years ago I bought my fist scope and probably like many starting out thought bung a camera on the end of it instead of the EP how hard can it be ?  Well as we all find I think damned hard if not seemingly impossible at times. But I think the fact it is not so easy makes this so interesting and rewarding when you do achieve something.

Steve

15 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

It was only about 2 years ago I bought my fist scope and probably like many starting out thought bung a camera on the end of it instead of the EP how hard can it be ? 

Ha......Quite right.  I remember when I first wanted to do astrophotrography I was in high school (1980) before CCDs and really even computers.  I thought all I had to do was get the right camera adapter and I would be all set.    I had a 6" Criterion Newtonian with a motor drive, which I had no idea how to polar align or guide.  How much farther off could I have been..with film....and 24 hour development stores? (I had no dark room waiting for me to rush in to develop an image to see if I was on target-or if I was in focus!).  Needless to say--I did not start astrophotography in high school.   It baffles my mind to think about doing this with film and 1980s technology.  Its not so much the film...I mean with today's setups one could use film much more easilly.  GOTO accuracy and plate solve virtually ensures proper framing.  Still though, I can't wrap my head around not being able to see what you are imaging until the next day. 

Rodd

• Haha 1