Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Butser Star Festival Hampshire - 17th-19th April 2009

Woodsey65

Hi,

HantsAstro is planning The Butser Star Festival on the 17th-19th April 2009, at Butser Ancient Farm, north of Portsmouth, just off the A3.

All facilities will be provided for camping up to 100 tents, Marquees for Seminars & Workshops, Trade Stands etc. In the evening, observing sessions and imaging workshops. Catering will be arranged on site including a Hog Roast, as well as copious amounts of ale for the pre-requisite Beer Tent. Butser are handling the site logistics and are experienced with putting on public events, so the rest of the event content is down to us and we're busy putting that together. We have been working with them since we started HantsAstro, so know them well. To see what we do there already please visit:

http://www.hantsastro.org/butserintro01.html

The Butser web-site:

http://www.butserancientfarm.co.uk/

Sponsors are starting to line up, so this event looks like it will go ahead.

A full list of speakers and talks will be confirmed at later stage.

During the day it will be open to the public, but the gates close at 6pm for the happy campers and the observing sessions. A site pass will give access to all areas including the seminars and workshops, to keep the pricing simple. All you will need is Gear, Tent, Sustainance.

Lots of DSOs but only Jupiter will be up. Moon doesn't show up 'til 4am ish, and the rest of the planets then follow suit. So the nights will be dark...

We have achieved Mag 20.7per arc/sec so it good for imaging with little light pollution. Hotels and B&B are nearby who like their creature comforts and there are two good local pubs too. Portsmouth is 10 miles to the south.

Bookings will be taken from late January 2009 and a dedicated area will be created on our website, HantsAstro.org.

I'm throwing this out to SGL members to help shape what promises to be a major event. If successful, we'd like to run it annually.

What else would you to see like there...?

Regards,

Dave

Hi Millways and co.

Must the time of year. we had an observing session on the 6th of Dec and it was COLD! So cold my SW Explorer 150P iced over!!! We saw some great meteors and even with a setting Moon managed a SQM meter reading of 19.4 average.

Plus I couldn't feel my legs from the knees down, I think is was well below zero, perhaps minus 4. hot coffee and mince pies helped though! Tough stuff this astronomy! The view of M42 was worth it. Lush.

Currently reviewing some toasty heated insoles for the next edition of Look Up! eZine. Perhaps I should test some dew gear too, for my nose!

Dave

Archived