Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

MartinFransson

IC1396, 14,5 hour widefield finally finished!

This has been my project since the start of this season and now I think I´ll just leave it... for now 😉

I started last season (with a longer FL) but didn´t like how my Baader O3 filter matched the Astrodon Ha filter, so now I had to get a 3nm O3 as well.

This is a total of:
60*5 minutes of 3nm Ha
114*5 minutes of 3nm O3.

Shot with a ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool and a Canon 300/4L IS tele lens. The lens suffers from bad star shapes in the corners but I managed to get it decent anyway. Didn´t want to stop it down from f/4 either.

Combined as a semi-RGB (or what to call it) from R=Ha, G=70%O3+30%Ha, B=O3. Processed it as LRGB using a combined Lum from 60% Ha L and 40% O3 L.

I am really happy that I finally feel satisfied with a target! Usually I just get restless and move on when half of the data is collected.

Hope you like it!

LRGB_Ha_60x5_O3_114x5_Image83_2400.jpg

Edited by MartinFransson
  • Like 46

Martin, I think that is a beautiful image. I love the colours. Basically, I love looking at it. Great shot.

Thanks for taking your time over the period and also for sharing it here. 

• Like 2

i think this is the best I've seen of this target by a long way.  Lovely subtle colours, and that dust really stands out

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Star101 said:

Martin, I think that is a beautiful image. I love the colours. Basically, I love looking at it. Great shot.

Thanks for taking your time over the period and also for sharing it here. 

I love looking at it too! :)

7 hours ago, glowingturnip said:

i think this is the best I've seen of this target by a long way.  Lovely subtle colours, and that dust really stands out

Thank you! That means a lot!

• Like 1

Martin,

It looks fantastic! Good to see you are liking your asi-1600!

Best regards,

Pieter

• Like 1

Wow Martin, it's an astounding image!

Awesome and amazing! And big too.

Love it! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, pietervdv said:

Martin,

It looks fantastic! Good to see you are liking your asi-1600!

Best regards,

Pieter

Thanks Pieter! Yes, I really like the sensitivity of it!

21 hours ago, tomato said:

Wonderful depth to this image, just stunning👍

Thank you!

21 hours ago, Ruud said:

Wow Martin, it's an astounding image!

Awesome and amazing! And big too.

Love it! 

Thanks! It´s been something I´ve wanted to do for a long time :)

A totally stunning capture there, it is amazing the detail you have in the shot, almost as amazing that the two filters can cost as much at the lens you took the shot with, maybe even be more.

Alan

• Like 1

What a glorious image and very sympathetically processed - such relatively short exposures as well. I particularly like the smoothness of the image too which is no doubt a result of the large subframe count. Well done!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alan potts said:

A totally stunning capture there, it is amazing the detail you have in the shot, almost as amazing that the two filters can cost as much at the lens you took the shot with, maybe even be more.

Alan

Yeah, I calculated the price per gram of those filters to be a lot higher than the price for 24K gold... and that´s for mounted filters that weigh a bit more than just the glass ones 😱.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Very nice..

Looks smooth, was it easy to process?

No, not really 😬

The Ha was really nice and easy to process but that O3...

4 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

What a glorious image and very sympathetically processed - such relatively short exposures as well. I particularly like the smoothness of the image too which is no doubt a result of the large subframe count. Well done!!!

Thank you! Yes, the exposures are kind of short for narrowband I guess but they were shot at f/4 so it equals 10 minutes or so on an f/5.6 scope.
The Ha data was actually this smooth already at 30+ exposures but to get the combined smoothness I needed a LOT of O3. Didn´t want to use only the Ha as Lum either.

1 hour ago, MartinFransson said:

The Ha was really nice and easy to process but that O3...

That is my experience with this object at well!!

1 minute ago, steppenwolf said:

That is my experience with this object at well!!

Right after imaging the O3 here I had a go at O3 for the Veil Nebula complex. It blew me away, almost stronger than the Ha signal! 😮 Don´t know if there are more areas like that...

6 hours ago, MartinFransson said:

Right after imaging the O3 here I had a go at O3 for the Veil Nebula complex. It blew me away, almost stronger than the Ha signal! 😮 Don´t know if there are more areas like that...

Can't wait for that one then 

2 hours ago, MartinFransson said:

Got Image Of The Day at Astrobin.com with this one today 😮🤩

Nice one Martin. Well deserved 

• Like 1