Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Phillips6549

Knowle Astronomical Society - Public Stargazing Evening

The Knowle Astronomical Society is holding a
PUBLIC STARGAZING & BEGINNERS EVENING
On  Monday 7th October 2019 at 8pm at
Dorridge Village Hall, Grange Road, B93 8QA

If the weather isn't favourable (what are the chances?) we will set up a few 'scopes in the hall to show people and we will also be giving a beginners talk in the hall and, who knows,  maybe we'll recruit a few new members.  Light refreshments will be available throughout the evening.

KASLogo.png

Edited by Phillips6549
Added logo

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stu Todd
      Hello fellow astronomers,
      Proudly announcing the southern hemispheres NZ  astronomy main event opening every Sunday from 7.30 pm, from the 7th April.
      We welcome visitors and can accommodate you in our beautiful, dark, southern town.

Please contact dunedin.astronomy@gmail.com 

Kia Ora! 

p.s This is Dunedin, New Zealand, not Dunedin, FL!

• By MikeODay
      The ABC in Australia has just published their 2018 "Sky Tour" presentation in support of their Stargazing Live event this week ( http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/stargazing-live/ ).
      The presentation was produced by Genelle Weule and can be found at http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-21/stargazing-live-tour-great-southern-sky/9775660.  It includes a narrated presentation by Prof. Fred Watson and includes four of my photos

• By RRT26
      Photos taken via my Samsung Galaxy J7 through my Orion f4 scope. The images of Jupiter and its' moons 1,3,and 5 were captured through a 20mm lens.  Images 2 and 4 were captured with an Orion Shorty 2x Barlow Lens through a 20mm lens.

• By Olli
      Hi all,
      im still relitivley knew to learning my way around the sky I thought I’d try and learn as much as I can before getting a scope ( spent the last year or so learning about the science of it all first ) and tonight is quite a good night ( not the best) but I decided to spend an hour or so learning my constellations as I’m pretty rubbish at knowing them all. However I went outside equipped with my binos, turn left at Orion and also Stellarium on my IPad ( made sure I turned on night vision  ). The most obvious place for me to start is Orion as it’s south facing my garden and I always seem to get a good view of it. In a hours session I managed to sort of memories three or 4 constellations. I say 3 or 4 because one of them was fairly low and trees were obstructing the view. Now the ones I’ve managed is obviously Orion  seeing the sword also betelgeuse in the top corner. (south east I think ) of that is  Cannis major with Sirius shining bright as always. After studying Canis Major  abit making sure I know the names of the stars. I turned right on Orion and looked to pleiades ( one of my favourite clusters) I then followed across Perseus and I kept following until the Triangulum. I tried to see the double cluster but I think my binos weren’t having it. After getting to the triangular constellation I tried to find andromeda and just about shining through the trees I could see it ( just).  So after finding Andromeda I decided to call it a night as my thumbs were about to freeze.
       I wanted to also know how did you learn constellations? Did you learn from books or from another method?

Thanks for reading  
    • By ericemms
      The next monthly meeting of  the Baker Street Irregular Astronomers is planned for one April evening from our 'launch window' of 18th, 19th or 20th. The date to be decided on the 17th when weather forecasts have been considered. Held of the terrace of the Hub, Regent's Park from 6:30pm until 11.00pm, anyone is welcome to attend. The meetings are fun, educational, family friendly and free of charge; no need to bring any equipment. If you know London friends who have never seen Jupiter and its four Galilean moons through a telescope tell them not to miss this opportunity.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.