Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6 syscan goes BANG!!!!!

Plastic chicken

Hello All.......

I have a problem. Tonight my motor control board in my EQ6 Synscan mount failed quite badly (burnt out capaictor amonst other bits on the board!!!).

Anyone have any Idea where I can buy a new board ?

I've sent an email to OVL to see if they can help, but you folks might also know..

Cheers all...

PC :crybaby:

Typical, best night of the year, moon out of the way relativly early and on a weekend!!!! :crybaby:

Not heard of that many problems with the EQ6, there are quite a few out there so i dont think that there is a quality issue.

Looks like Bern has sorted Allan out on the other forum, so thats good news.

I suppose that with so many different cables for so many different pieces of equipment, and some using the same fittings, ie Rj's, and serial, it is possible to inadvertently connect a wrong cable.

Is the EQ6, or for that matter the HEQ5 not protected against wrong polarity. Surely it would not take much for the manufacturer to make them safe against such an event.

Ron.

Anything thats connected from a serial port should be opto isolated, this will prevent power spikes and over voltage. Avoid cheap cables, make your own or buy from astromiser, shoestring etc.

George has hit the nail on the head - it protects your computer and the expensive astronomical equipment.

Anything thats connected from a serial port should be opto isolated, this will prevent power spikes and over voltage. Avoid cheap cables, make your own or buy from astromiser, shoestring etc.

Are you saying they should be opto isolated, or they already are

George.

Ron. :D

Another failure mode could be due to dampness/moisture/condensation forming on the motor PCB (Printed circuit board) even small amounts of dampness that the PCB could get during cold nights over time can cause dendritic crystal metal growth across adjacent tracks (say 12V and 0V), and when they do short - bang.

For "harsh" environments the PCB can be "conformally coated" to help protect the PCB, but this process is messy and expensive. This coating is above the standard "soldermask" coating applied normally to PCBs.

Are any of the copper tracks "blown" near the burnt out electronic devices? If yes, then failure by above could well be cause.

Archived