SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

oiii advice

Fieldsy

3 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Hi all looking for a reasonable priced oiii filter 1.25 for imaging I have all baader rgb and Ha filter atm but I'm not precious on that although all looking similar 😍 .

Thanks Si

Optolong oiii will be good value :) I have a Baader and an Optolong oiii filter and they perform equally well. 

I have the full set of Baader NB and RGB and they arent parfocal in my scope so going for a complete set of the same filters isnt a big benefit imo unless you have a well corrected scope. 

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Hi all looking for a reasonable priced oiii filter 1.25 for imaging I have all baader rgb and Ha filter atm but I'm not precious on that although all looking similar 😍 .

Thanks Si

Get a baader to match, its often possible to identify nebuloucity in a single Ha sub and frame a target, however OIII is vastly weaker and you will often not see any in a single sub only a stack. As such you will want to focus on OIII and then switch to Ha to locate the target. Once framed you switch back to OIII....now the issue is that if you purchase a filter from someone other than baader you will have little hope of them being parafocal and so you will not be able to do what i just described.

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

Get a baader to match, its often possible to identify nebuloucity in a single Ha sub and frame a target, however OIII is vastly weaker and you will often not see any in a single sub only a stack. As such you will want to focus on OIII and then switch to Ha to locate the target. Once framed you switch back to OIII....now the issue is that if you purchase a filter from someone other than baader you will have little hope of them being parafocal and so you will not be able to do what i just described.

With plate solving that is largely/wholly irrelevant.  You tend to shoot with Ha first and then do oiii after (that’s how I do it I’m sure that makes most sense. And then use that ha as you reference frame. How far out do you think Optolong filters are from the Baader ones in terms of focal disparity? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

With plate solving that is largely/wholly irrelevant.  You tend to shoot with Ha first and then do oiii after (that’s how I do it I’m sure that makes most sense. And then use that ha as you reference frame. How far out do you think Optolong filters are from the Baader ones in terms of focal disparity? 

They are far enough out, but apart from that my experience is that baader filters are better quality. Plate solving is not a perfect solution in my experience.  I don't know of anyone who mixes and matches filter brands with narrow band. 

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam J said:

They are far enough out, but apart from that my experience is that baader filters are better quality. Plate solving is not a perfect solution in my experience.  I don't know of anyone who mixes and matches filter brands with narrow band. 

Can I ask how many Optolong filters you used? Have you used them side by side with Baaders to know ‘they are far enough out’ and they are not as good?

I mix and match filters all the time. I take images with Baader Sii and mix with Optolong Oiii (or vice versa) and then combine in Ha from both brands.  Maybe my images are all crap? I don’t know.

I recently lent my Optolong oiii to a forum member, turned out he found it was better at controlling halos than his Baader Oiii.  Side by side my Ha certainly looks more contrasty with Optolong over Baader.  

Plate solving - Any filter gets me to within 1 pixel if I so choose (I actually chose within 12 pixels). It just simply works, year old image solved accurately last night.

Apologies to the OP for clogging up the thread.  You’ll get mixed views on everything 😆

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Can I ask how many Optolong filters you used? Have you used them side by side with Baaders to know ‘they are far enough out’ and they are not as good?

I mix and match filters all the time. I take images with Baader Sii and mix with Optolong Oiii (or vice versa) and then combine in Ha from both brands.  Maybe my images are all crap? I don’t know.

I recently lent my Optolong oiii to a forum member, turned out he found it was better at controlling halos than his Baader Oiii.  Side by side my Ha certainly looks more contrasty with Optolong over Baader.  

Plate solving - Any filter gets me to within 1 pixel if I so choose (I actually chose within 12 pixels). It just simply works, year old image solved accurately last night.

Apologies to the OP for clogging up the thread.  You’ll get mixed views on everything 😆

I have used an Optolong filter when I first started out, it was a Ha filter I got reflections with it using my 130PDS and DSLR so I sold it. I dont need side by side as I used baader after the Optolong for a long time and loved those no reflections on the DSLR, but in the end I got my Astrodons about a year back as they interact with the ASI1600 much better use to reduced star brightness resulting in less micro lensing, on top of that they were another step up with the anti reflection coatings.

Glad that you are having a good time with yours though.

But I would never recommend someone mix and matching filters. If he had an Optolong filter, I would tell him to get another one. He has a Baader filter. 

My actual advice is don't get one yet anyway as learning to create a high quality ha image is more important than jumping into bi-color when starting out. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1