Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First time- Orion ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ‘Œ

markse68

To recap Iโ€™m spending a few days camping in Bortle 4 Kent coast and itโ€™s been an amazing few days seeing things as never before! I had planned to set alarm for 4am one morning but a large family group arrived yesterday and kinda surrounded me so I abandoned that plan not wanting to wake them all at that ungodly hour.

So I waited and waited till about 2am last night for my first ever look at Orion and boy was it worth it! Pretty spectacular despite the closeness of the half moon and the low altitude at that time but even with those limitations itโ€™s the most incredible nebula Iโ€™ve seen yet- so vivid and 3-dimensional. Wow!

I do have a question though. Itโ€™s going to get better and better with darkening skies, higher altitude ย and with a lack of moon, but will something like an oiii filter be the icing on the cake or is that just for things you canโ€™t really see without?

• Like 7

Thanks Mark. Looks like tonight is going to be the last good weather of my holiday so Iโ€™ll most likely be out again in the wee hours. I donโ€™t know if it was my imaginationย and I couldnโ€™t make out any structure but I got a ย distinct impression of a redness to the area the NAN should be last night without filtersย 

• Like 1

I agree with Mark - it's interesting to use an O-III filter on M42 but I feel that its best without a filter.

It is probably the most striking nebula that we can see in the northern skies. With an O-III filter however, the Veil Nebula complex rivals it for intricacy though and there is more of it to explore :smiley:

• Like 1

At home I have enjoyed pointing out the nebula (unaided) to visitors from areas with more polluted skies.

Just going into that part of Orion with binos or a low power eyepiece gets you lost among the stars.

I always look forward to Orion showing over trees as winter approaches.

ย 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats markse68. I'm sharing your joy and wonderment right now, as I've just ticked off M42!

Setting the alarm for midnight to grab some clear sky before night shifts this weekend, I slept until 3.30! Looking outside the skies looked good, with some wisps of cloud rolling in from the west.

On goes the hat, fleece and coat, then the Startravel 120 is popped out, inc. the first outing of a 2" semi-apo filter fitted to the diagonal. BST 8mm/15mm and X-Cel 25mm stuffed in pockets.

It took only a second or two to locate M42 through the 25mm, as the Sword of Orion was just visible in my Bortle 7/8 sky.

Wow is all I can say. Just wow! Great wisps of nebulosity, with the Trapezium quadruple just split in the 15mm and easy in the 8mm.

I managed 30 minutes before the cloud cover arrived, but it was worth the very early rise.

Fantastic!

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 5

Thatโ€™s awesome man-ย glad you saw it too

๐Ÿ˜Š It is spectacular isnโ€™t it! And to think it should get better and better as the winter months progress- if only we get a few clear nights ๐Ÿ˜‰

what surprised me about the Trapezium was that the stars seemed to haveย dimension!ย I donโ€™t know if thatโ€™s diffusion from the nebulosity or perhaps my mirrors had dewed ย up but I couldnโ€™t focus them to pin points- itโ€™s was like they were smeared a ย little bit ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธย 

Anyway,ย looking forward to many more views in the coming months ๐Ÿ˜Š

I've actually got some fairly decent filters and I've tried them on M42 and taken them off again!ย  I agree with the comments above I always think its better without.ย ย 

3 hours ago, markse68 said:

Thatโ€™s awesome man-ย glad you saw it too

๐Ÿ˜Š It is spectacular isnโ€™t it! And to think it should get better and better as the winter months progress- if only we get a few clear nights ๐Ÿ˜‰

what surprised me about the Trapezium was that the stars seemed to haveย dimension!ย I donโ€™t know if thatโ€™s diffusion from the nebulosity or perhaps my mirrors had dewed ย up but I couldnโ€™t focus them to pin points- itโ€™s was like they were smeared a ย little bit ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธย 

Anyway,ย looking forward to many more views in the coming months ๐Ÿ˜Š

I agree about the depth the stars seemed to have, but I definitely had pinpoints through the refractor. It was probably dew on your mirrors? I'm looking forward to trying the 8" Dob next time. What scope did you use?

Yes, M42 is a AWESOME object to observe.. and yes it does get better with a darker sky and I find that using a Lumicon and Astronomik UHC filters really make it pop... the amount of detail is staggering and really makes a massive difference.