SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is observational astronomy on the wane ?

John

What's imaging? Observing through the telescope is all i've ever done and almost certainly all I'll ever do. I'm fortunate to have a couple of excellent visual observers to associate with locally (good friends), so observing is very much alive and healthy in my little world. I do think the skill of observers is on the wane though, as many today just assume you need to either have a large aperture scope to see anything of worth, or you need to live on Hawaii - neither of which is true!

• Like 5

I prefer visual astronomy personally. 

I do take the odd single lunar shot but even then I like to get as good an image as I can without spending hours processing. 

With no image stacking.

Saying that I enjoy looking at pictures others have taken.

It's just my personal preference 

Edited by djpaul
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, djpaul said:

I prefer visual astronomy personally. 

I do take the odd single lunar shot but even then I like to get as good an image as I can without spending hours processing. 

With no image stacking.

Saying that I enjoy looking at pictures others have taken.

It's just my personal preference 

I couldn't have said it better myself Paul - particularly with respect to the Moon. 

Sorry Mike, but your claim as quoted below is not strictly true:

What's imaging? Observing through the telescope is all i've ever done and almost certainly all I'll ever do. I'm fortunate to have a couple of excellent visual observers to associate with locally (good friends), so observing is very much alive and healthy in my little world. I do think the skill of observers is on the wane though, as many today just assume you need to either have a large aperture scope to see anything of worth, or you need to live on Hawaii - neither of which is true!

I distinctly remember you posting a phone 'image' of the moon on SGL - I have a copy of it as I thought it was such a rare event!  :laugh2:

I'd also like to say it's a real pleasure being a 'member' of your local observing group.

• Haha 1

Peter is quite correct, visual observing in a natural rewarding way to see the wonders of the night, and daytime, sky.  As for imaging, wasting valuable eyeball time to play around with frustratingly temperamental electronic gadgets and computers, well, that's downright weird 😱.

• Haha 6

Some more great points of view have been posted in this thread. Thanks very much for contributing what you think folks :icon_salut:

I didn't set out to start an observation vs imaging thing of course. Whatever floats your astronomy boat is good with me :icon_biggrin:

The majority of members of my astro society don't image or observe but I enjoy meeting and talking with them anyway.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, paulastro said:

Peter is quite correct, visual observing in a natural rewarding way to see the wonders of the night, and daytime, sky.  As for imaging, wasting valuable eyeball time to play around with frustratingly temperamental electronic gadgets and computers, well, that's downright weird 😱.

I admit to being weird!! 🤣  And you are quite right, of course, electronic gadgets and computers are totally frustrating at times!

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1