Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3 Lovely Doubles In The Foal; 3 Globs

cloudsweeper

7.35pm - clear - 8SE cooled and ready - did a daytime collimation check yesterday, but last night the GoTo failed me, so I updated the firmware today (what a rigmarole!), and it worked beautifully this evening.

Jupiter was low, west of south, just entering trees - aligned on it.  Checked GoTo with Altair (just visible, naked eye) - spot on.  A bit later - Saturn appeared - GoTo again bang on.  What a relief!

Planned targets - three matched / nearly matched doubles in Equuleus, the Foal or Little Horse, the 2nd smallest constellation.  I also chose them because they have very similar separations.

Sigma  2765 - matched, 2.8" - x68 > x113 - very close, but a definite split.  Clearer x 145.

The joy of doubles! - even with a lightish sky, you can track them down and get a split (as long as they not very faint).

Sigma 2742 - brighter, matched, 2.9" - another good split, very close x145.

Sigma 2786 - close match, 2.7" - exactly as above.  The match looked very close indeed.

8.20pm - darker now.  Tried some globs for a change.  

M15, Great Pegasus Cluster - GoTo hit target again.  Still fuzzy x203, some structure seen x231, not as clear x254.

M2, GC, Aquarius - tried the 8-24 zoom to keep target in view as mag went up.  Again, some signs of structure.

Now a new one for me - C47, GC, Delphinus - much fainter - nearby stars were a good aid for focus.  Little more than a fuzz at x203, but still good to capture this target!

I fancied an early finish and a coffee, so had a look at one of my favourites of all time, the Double Cluster.  Considering I aligned on Jupiter, I was impressed that GoTo got right on this target on the other side of the sky, and what a treat, as ever.

8.55pm - finished, very satisfied - it was one of those sessions where it all flows smoothly.  Very rewarding and enjoyable!

Thanks for reading.

Doug.

• Like 6