Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Messier M27, Dumbbell Nebula

Star101

From WiKi

The Dumbbell Nebula (also known as Apple Core Nebula, Messier 27, M 27, or NGC 6853) is a planetary nebula in the constellation Vulpecula, at a distance of about 1227 light-years. This object was the first planetary nebula to be discovered; by Charles Messier in 1764. At its brightness of visual magnitude 7.5 and its diameter of about 8 arcminutes, it is easily visible in binoculars and a popular observing target in amateur telescopes.

It was a great clear night until 2am when a high mist/cloud came in and got comfortable. Started imaging to the east for an hour before the flip. Carried on imaging until the neighbours trees got in the way. Managed to get 14 x ten minute subs ( lost 4 more for various reasons ).

I processed using the Drag and drop STF onto Histogram method but this washed out the red glow. So, did manual stretch to get much better results.

Rest was just curves and curves with masks. 

Thanks for looking.

Taken 19/20 Sept 19 ( last night )

14 x 600s Lights.

100 Bias, 30 x 300s Darks, need to create some 600s maybe! 30 Flats.

Atik 4120EX OSC with IDAS LP filter

Guiding using Lodestar X2, ZWO OAG, C11.

Scope C11 @2800mm

Processed in Pixinsight.

Dave

M27 Fin C.jpg

• Like 9

I posted the above image and afterwards thought, it looks pushed too much. The red is still washed out.

So, I gently redid the process, from scratch, since posting. 11 minutes ago. Here is version 2.

Comments and positive critique welcome. ( I'm still learning ;) )

M27 Done C.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks Geof and Dark.

I too like the second most.

Although the second image only took maybe 10 minutes to process. I think it was the learning from the first image that helped a lot.

I found that this data does not need lots of processing work...Just slight teasing here and there. :)

Dave

• Like 1