Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC7000 to Sadr mosaic

Adreneline

Having imaged NGC7000 and Sadr on far from perfect evenings when there was a large moon I decided there was little point in doing anything different last night so decided to image the region between the two targets.

I can't/won't afford a camera rotator so this is a compromise mosaic planned as best I could using CdC over three nights/sessions.

This is 12x120s of Ha and OIII on each target frame (I also have 12x120s of SII but I don't think it will add anything).

936217558_Sadr7000-APPPIPS.thumb.jpg.d2a080381afd020eaba9f71fb85c4586.jpg

The whole lot was thrown into APP (which took as long to register it all as it took to take the images) and the resulting pair of masters was stretched in PI and tweaked for colour in PS with minimal noise reduction. I found background noise extraction really difficult on the uncropped image so this is the best I could achieve.

All taken with my Samyang 135mm + ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled atop the iOptron CEM25-EC - all without guiding.

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
typo
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, alan potts said:

I guess you have just stacked it as a mosaic in DSS or the like

Thanks Alan,

I used AstroPixel Processor to assemble the mosaic - it is brilliant at doing it and (for me) so much easier than using PixInsight; you literally just throw all the lights in as separate sessions and it chonks it way through and produces a virtually seamless result.

Glad you like it.

Adrian

• Like 1

I really, really like this Adrian.  Beautiful colours and there is something about the four frames hanging together that I find really pleasing to the eye.

Nice work.

Edited by x6gas
typo
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @AbsolutelyN, @rockinrome, @Dark Horizon, @PaulB, @stephencamptonjones, @JamesF, @x6gas and @alan potts for all the very kind comments - I'm overwhelmed! I only did it for a bit of fun but it turned out far better than I expected with whole thing spanning about 12 degrees, I think (please correct me if I'm wrong with that). I've got the SII subs as well but not sure adding them will be of any benefit.

I'll resist the temptation to head off in the opposite direction until I get to the Elephant's Trunk!

Adrian

I'd missed that this was unguided!  Amazing for 120s subs...

I've kept hold my Atik 383L as I've always intended to strap a camera lens on it, mount it on top of the scope I'm imaging with and get some wide field.  I really must do this...

2 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Thanks @AbsolutelyN, @rockinrome, @Dark Horizon, @PaulB, @stephencamptonjones, @JamesF, @x6gas and @alan potts for all the very kind comments - I'm overwhelmed! I only did it for a bit of fun but it turned out far better than I expected with whole thing spanning about 12 degrees, I think (please correct me if I'm wrong with that). I've got the SII subs as well but not sure adding them will be of any benefit.

I'll resist the temptation to head off in the opposite direction until I get to the Elephant's Trunk!

Adrian

The only way to deal with temptation is to yield to it, Oscar Wilde.

Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, x6gas said:

I'd missed that this was unguided!  Amazing for 120s subs...

So far I am really impressed by my new iOptron CEM25-EC. I've pushed it as far as 300s and still can see no evidence of trailing. I am sure if I start to increase the focal length problems may start to reveal themselves but so far, with 135mm and 200mm, everything seems very hopeful.

Thanks again.

Adrian

• Like 1

I actually like the Hubble mosaic approach (the Hubble's sensor is L shaped so its common to have jagged images).  I would not have thought this would appeal to me but on the contrary it does.  This is great news because it will make my manual mosaics a bit easier if I don't have to worry about the orthogonality of all boundaries!  Well done

Rodd

• Thanks 1