Narrowband

parallelogram for 20x80 + pistol grip

orange crab

I have a pair of Helios light quest 20x80 binoculars (2490g/5.48 lb) that I would like to use together with my ball pistol grip (745g/1.10 lb).

Total weight: 3235g/7.13lb

The ball pistol grip would only be necessary to give me the movement I require on the paragon plus. But, would the Orion paragon-plus be suitable for this weight? 

There is a very big jump in the capabilities of the Orion monster version and I’m not convinced they would be necessary for my requirements. Cost is also a factor!

I'm not into diy but am open to any suitable second hand parallelogram and tripod if available. Thanks for all advice.

Edited by Cornelius Varley
colour removed

A quick check on the specs for the Orion Paragon Plus indicates it has a capacity of 5lbs, so your combination would appear to be over that by over 2lbs. Not used the device myself so can't vouch for whether or not that extra weight would be an issue.

You could make it work by tightening the fulcrums, but it wouldn't feel good. At all. The Paragon Plus starts to struggle even at its advertised capacity. I find it just about OK with a 2.042kg old-style centre-focus Opticron Oregon 20x80. The Helios LQ is a lovely binocular: don't ruin it by putting it on a sub-optimal mount.

Edited by BinocularSky
clarity