SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQDir no longer working - windows update to blame?

My EQDir module to connect  HEQ5 Pro to my laptop is no longer working 😞 Last time I used it was a while ago but it was fine, now it just says port not available when connecting to EQMod.   I have checked in Windows device manager and it says PL203HXA PHASED OUT SINCE 2012. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SUPPLIER.  But if I go into it, it says its working properly an the port is port 11.  I have checked with the handset and that connects to the mount OK so its not the mount that's faulty.

See this:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/us/newsdetail.aspx?news_id=35

I don't know what version of Windows you are using, but if Windows 10 that chipset doesn't have a supported driver and Windows 10 will update (break!) drivers automatically.

Is it the Hitec Astro EQDirect cable by any chance? If so you're definitely going to have problems with Win 10 and possibly earlier versions of Windows. Prolific produced the original chipset but it was then ripped off by loads of far-east chipmakers who basically cloned the chip, sold it cheaper but used Prolific's drivers so both stealing their IP and the money they invested in writing, testing and updating drivers. In the end Prolific released an updated driver that tries to detect the clone chips and stops working. You used to be able to get around the problem by finding and installing the older driver version, but with Win 10 it would happily re-update to the later driver next reboot unless you went through a bunch of shenanigans to prevent it.

The upshot is that you'll save yourself a lot of grief by moving to a new EQDirect cable with an FDTI chipset, e.g. the Lynx Astro models.

Edited by IanL

2 hours ago, blinky said:

That's what's wrong! Tried an earlier driver and it works but installs the new after each reboot as you mention

You can:

- Disable all driver updates in the system settings, just Google for it, but it's a very blunt instrument and you probably don't want to go there as new devices and software will often work better if you are using latest drivers.

- If you're using Win 10 Pro then you can use the group policy editor to disable driver updates for specific device IDs, but not possible in home editions.

- You can go in to device manager and select the properties of the device, then choose 'roll back driver' after it has auto updated. This may prevent it re-updating for a while, but I never had much luck and would regularly have to roll back or reinstall the working Prolific driver.

In the end, you don't want to be wasting limited clear skies chasing these gremlins and personally I just bit the bullet and bought an FDTI cable which works flawlessly. The Lynx ones also look more professional and better made, I was always worried with the hi-tec ones that one accidental yank and the cable would part company with the plastic box housing the board.