Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help ASCOM for Stellarium Telescope Control

dragorom7

Hello, i am new to this forum, i made my account here because i need help.

So few weeks ago i ordered a USB to Serial cable to be able to Control my Telescope with my computer using stellarium.

It arrived today.

So i made my Star Alignment, then i plugged the cable to my Telescope and Computer, i installed the Cable driver and ASCOM Platform + ASCOM Celestron Driver.

I started DriverConnect.exe and put the Celestron Driver i downloaded, and did the properties informations ( had to tick on "Advanced Setup" and "Show All COM Ports" ) and i put "COM8" on "COM Port", then i pressed "OK" and then "Connect"

Result:

Create              Creating device
Connected           Connecting to device
Error               System.Exception: Connect to COM1 failed, no Celestron scope detected
   to System.Dynamic.ComRuntimeHelpers.CheckThrowException(Int32 hresult, ExcepInfo& excepInfo, UInt32 argErr, String message)
   to CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , ComObject , Boolean )
   to ASCOM.DriverConnect.ConnectForm.btnConnect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverConnect\ConnectForm.cs:line 268scr2.PNG.b62ba9e1f780acf4a6ac6c00b0d56293.PNG
Dispose             Disposing of device
ReleaseComObject    Releasing COM instance
ReleaseComObject    Completed release. Count: 0
GC Collect          Starting garbage collection
GC Collect          Completed garbage collection

"Connect to COM1 failed, no Celestron scope detected"

scr1.PNG.d8c889391ed21b7cd153c826f96724e6.PNG

In Stellarium i set-up everything, the plug-in and restarted the app, then added my telescope  and i says it's "connected" but i can't find my telescope.

Telescope:
Celestron NexStar 127SLT

The Cable i bought:

https://www.amazon.com/Telescope-CP2102-Adapter-Control-Console/dp/B077G37VL1/

PC Specs:

Windows 10 Pro, GTX 970, 8GB Ram(DDR4), i7 6700 3.4Ghz

Looking forward for your help, thanks in advance,

dragorom7.

Hello and welcome to SGL.

Thoughts
1. You selected com 8 for the usb-serial  adapter but com 1 is shown in the Celestron setup window. EQ N is also selected as track mode, this should be alt az for the SLT.
2. The Meade cable might not work with a Celestron mount.
3. If the Celestron SLT mount works like the Skywatcher AZ -GOTO then you need to connect the mount to the computer via the handset using the correct cable, not directly.
4. The ASCOM platform and ASCOM mount drivers aren't required to control the mount through Stellarium, Stellarium has its own mount drivers.
5, If you control the mount through ASCOM you also need Stellariumscope  to communicate between Stellarium and ASCOM.

1. Sorry i just changed my COM8 to COM1 on windows device manager, this is my bad. Also i changed EQ N to ALT-AZ.

2. I was able to plug the cable on my telescope bottom of hand controler and it fits perfectly, but though it can be the issue if it's the wrong cable, but if it is, which cable do you recommend me?

3. I connected it to the hand controller bottom port where it's written "NXS"

4. It didn't work with it's own drivers so i did some search and got told i must have ASCOM

5. I have Stellariumscope installed, and it does the same error as ASCOM: " Connect to COM1 failed, no Celestron scope detected" in an box

Thank you for your help and answers, you are very helpful, i hope i will be able to fix it.

16 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Thoughts
1. You selected com 8 for the usb-serial  adapter but com 1 is shown in the Celestron setup window. EQ N is also selected as track mode, this should be alt az for the SLT.
3. If the Celestron SLT mount works like the Skywatcher AZ -GOTO then you need to connect the mount to the computer via the handset using the correct cable, not directly.
4. The ASCOM platform and ASCOM mount drivers aren't required to control the mount through Stellarium, Stellarium has its own mount drivers.
5, If you control the mount through ASCOM you also need Stellariumscope  to communicate between Stellarium and ASCOM.

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Thoughts

I think i bought the wrong cable, it says on amazon that it's RJ-10 and the real celestron one is RJ-11

• 4 weeks later...