Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'm very worried!

Andyb90

Yes, it' inherited from Ian King Imaging.

I have a full set of the 3 nm ones in 1.25", bought back in 2014 when they were "only" £384 each. Since then they've gone from merely stupidly expensive to some kind of stratospheric insanity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm thinking of going for Ha 5nm 1.25 and 3nm OIII. I have the funds for the Ha filter from the sale of other astro items. For the OIII I'd fund it by selling my Delos EPs. As when I do a session it's almost always imaging now. So I can't really justify keeping the Delos EPs.

Edited by Andyb90

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

to some kind of stratospheric insanity.

or even.......

mesopheric unbelieveability.....

thermospheric  exclusivity....

exospheric  daftness....        there is still room for an increase...... ;) 

I use Chroma's and from I am told they used to make the Astrodons, I bought my Ha, OIII and SII 3nm in 50mm unmounted for about $1500 direct from Chroma, so that is less than a 1/3 of the price of Astrodons.

NB, All my LRGB Chroma and NB are parfocal, so I just focus using the Lum and know everything is bang on 🙂

Edited by Jkulin
  • Like 1

I used to use Astronomic 13nm filters but convinced myself that I would be better off with Baader 7nm.  I definitely wasn't wowed by the difference.  Now it seems I must have 3nm.  Well actually, I don't think so.  I've seen comparisons which give hints of improved contrast.  I've been given 7nm and 3nm unprocessed data for comparison and could really see very little difference.

All this brings to mind the sort of discussion you get in HiFi circles where speaker cable costing £1000 per meter "blows away" a cable costing £500.  

Good to hear about the Chroma 3nm pricing though.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MartinB said:

I used to use Astronomic 13nm filters but convinced myself that I would be better off with Baader 7nm.  I definitely wasn't wowed by the difference.  Now it seems I must have 3nm.  Well actually, I don't think so.  I've seen comparisons which give hints of improved contrast.  I've been given 7nm and 3nm unprocessed data for comparison and could really see very little difference.

All this brings to mind the sort of discussion you get in HiFi circles where speaker cable costing £1000 per meter "blows away" a cable costing £500.  

Good to hear about the Chroma 3nm pricing though.  

I'm particularly interested in comparisons under moonlight. So I'm looking at various forums and sites to find some.