Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bought scope but can't get anything to work

13 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Found an old pic of my OTA with an eyepiece fiteed. Note the length of the extension I had to use on the focuser.

74658907-2646-4D65-8E04-E8FB94BA4685.jpeg

Johninderby out of curiosity what mount do you use? I'm looking to replace mine in near future.

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I used it on a Skytee II alt az mount. Was too heavy really and needed a stronger mount. That”s why I sold it on as I didn’t want to spend the money on a stronger mount at the time.

Perhaps an EQ6 would be OK for visual use.

The weight is def a huge issue ldx75 mount is maxed almost to much with full set up 

14 hours ago, Philip R said:

Hi again @Andy55

Upon a closer look at the second image, I think you have a type of single-speed Crayford focusser. 

As previously mentioned, I think the black thumbscrew adjusts the tension of the drawtube. If you cannot see the drawtube move up/down, then you will need to turn the thumbscrew a few turns until it does. Once you see it move, then tighten to a position where you think it is comfortable and will not slip.

First pic is what is in there now fully extended 

Second pic is the original focuser much longer it is beat up pretty good but I'm wondering if I should change it out to try since I do not have a extension for the on currently on there?

Thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated 

15689745758505064332646496522186.jpg

15689747368852956856077498303262.jpg

If you have a barlow lens then you may be able to remove the lens element from it and use the body as an extender.

The image you posted of the eyepices shows a barlow lens....remove the lens and fix an eyepiece into it then place in the scopes focuser.

Edited by Bruce Leeroy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

You just need an eyepiece extenstion tube like one of these. Does your focuser accept 2” eyepieces or just 1.25”. 

https://agenaastro.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=eyepiece extension tube

Accepts 2" unfortunately where I live there is no where close to get one would have to order it

Edited by Andy55

Hopefully will be just the right length but impossible to be 100% sure until you try the eyepiece with it. 🤞🏻

Be sure not to mark or damage the extender in any way while testing it in case you need to exchange it. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

In that Celestron lens kit there is a Barlow lens. Its the one in the top right of the picture, If you unscrew the lens on that you can then use the tube as an extension.

Don't wait for darkness. try getting focus on a distant object in daylight, much less frustrating.

Pat

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, valleyman said:

In that Celestron lens kit there is a Barlow lens. Its the one in the top right of the picture, If you unscrew the lens on that you can then use the tube as an extension.

Don't wait for darkness. try getting focus on a distant object in daylight, much less frustrating.

Pat

Perfect thank you going to try now 

Ok so I'm ready to curl up in a ball and give up so I tried the borow lens as a extension with no luck so I swapped out to the origanal focuser still getting same result all I see is a bright circle with a black dot in center help please lol 

I am so very excited to tell everybody who helped me out I was able to see Saturn tonight I am overwhelmed right now....i am going to ask if anybody has a good suggestion for a new focuser as i will be buying one and also i had a mishap tonight and the straps that mount to the scope 1 was already broken and it unfortunately broke tonight and I dont know the technical name for it and have been unable to find them any suggestions?

Now I just to need to figure out the auto star find a book on the night sky to help me learn! So excited what a amazing hobby and it's worth every penny been a long 5 months trying to figure this out and finnaly in on night and 1 view of Saturn I'm hooked more then ever astrophotography is next already have all the camera equipment just need to learn lol

Thanks to all!

20190919_144855.thumb.jpg.7685628fd9372e7bf4af0a2f510d8db0.jpg

Edited by Andy55
  • Like 1

I'll take a guess that you mean the tube rings have broken? You may be able to find a way to fix it or alternatively buy a replacement pair of the correct size. If you have one good one left as a spare that's maybe no bad thing as you can mod it so the OTA remains in the correct balance point each time you re-mount it or while rotating it to get a better EP position. 

Can't comment on the focuser, but if you've found a way to get visual images into focus and do plan on trying photography, perhaps save the cost and stick with the one fitted, given the prev owner was using it for this purpose?

However, you might consider adding a counterweight so that the OTA is balanced with the weights further up the bar to reduce oscillation when imaging.

What was the solution by the way? might help others in the future...

Edited by DaveL59