Narrowband

The Flying Dragon is improving

gorann

This is a very weak and rather challenging Ha object in Cygnus. Last night I collected 25 x15 min of Ha to add to RGB data from a year ago (collected with ASI071 on Esprot 150). The additional Ha really helped to bring out the dragon as well as surrounding nebulosity. I used the Esprit 150 with TS 3" 0.79x reducer and ASI1600MMpro, sitting on the Mesu 200 (guiding using ST80 with QHY 5L-II M). The moon was up but I think the Baader 3.5 nm Ha filter did a good job at blocking out the moonlight.

So now totally 12.2 hours which is probably the minimum needed on this object.

Comments most welcome of course.

20180930 Sh2-114 ASI E150 RGB PS3(+Saturation) +Ha blend redPS53smallSign.jpg

• Like 9

Nice Job Goran, the Ha is pretty much essential I would say on this one.  I've about 14 hours of Ha on this, and it's pretty faint indeed.  I havent tried anything like this before as I tend to do the more common stuff.  I might post it up later.

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Nice Job Goran, the Ha is pretty much essential I would say on this one.  I've about 14 hours of Ha on this, and it's pretty faint indeed.  I havent tried anything like this before as I tend to do the more common stuff.  I might post it up later.

Thanks Adam and the best of luck!

5 minutes ago, wimvb said:

That's getting along very nicely. Will you add another 12 hrs, or continue on your Sadr mosaic? Add colour to that perhaps? 

Thanks Wim! I think I am done with this one for a while. As you indicate I probably need another 12 hours to make a noticible difference. After fighting with this one I may go for something easy while I wait for the moon to go away and I can get RGB for the Sadr mosaic.

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Goran.

I am currently working on the same target, but only got 8 hours so far.  Just about to update the thread.  As you say it really is a very faint target, and I have to wait to get to Bortle 4 skies to do it.

Carole 

Thanks Carole!

It is a good target to keep adding data to when the moon is up, so not right now. I may have another go at it around next full moon, but then there are so many targets out there......

As you say you may be better off saving it for times when you are at darker places.