SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Man fret to trigger ball head

Criermike

I have just bought one of these having readers much people on the forum recommend them. However,the bullhead is very stiff. Can this be lubricated or “loosened” in any way? I do understand that there must be an element of stiffness, and I’ve never seen or used one before, but mine seems to be very stiff. Any and all advice will be most gratefully received.

which model is it, was it new or used?

They're quite easy to overhaul (I did my 222 recently) but either way there's usually an adjuster that adjusts the amount of play, maybe its too tight and slackening it will give easier motion for you.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

@Criermike - just a follow up from my earlier post this evening... TG-manual.pdf by SGL's @BinocularSky and an edited screenshot of a posting by him from 2014.2077602897_Screenshot(29).thumb.png.266423a862f0d9639b09600833f8d1ab.png

BTW - I have just noticed the title. Did you mean Manfrotto

Edited by Philip R

37 minutes ago, Philip R said:

@Criermike - just a follow up from my earlier post this evening... TG-manual.pdf by SGL's @BinocularSky and an edited screenshot of a posting by him from 2014.2077602897_Screenshot(29).thumb.png.266423a862f0d9639b09600833f8d1ab.png

BTW - I have just noticed the title. Did you mean Manfrotto

Thanks for that, I shall read it tomorrow. I do indeed mean Manfrotto. I have had an operation on my finger so I either touched the screen accidentally, resulting in that mishmashed word, or predictive text took over.

8 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

It is the 222 and a used version. Having looked at the link, I shall investigate further tomorrow.

the 222 is quite easy to strip down and give the internals and ball and socket a clean etc, just don't lube the ball/socket or the brake lever that acts on it or it'll just slip all the time. It's a nice solid unit, just need the appropriate allen keys and work methodically. Once adjusted its very nice to use and a bargain S/H. If the paint is worn that's easy to retouch too and makes it look like new again, think I used satin black to touch the wear out on mine. Replacing the bubble level is a pain but can be done tho its not so useful for star gazing, did that on mine just to make the mount "complete" as it were. Also obtained a couple extra quick-release plates for it so can quickly swap camera, binos etc :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

the 222 is quite easy to strip down and give the internals and ball and socket a clean etc, just don't lube the ball/socket or the brake lever that acts on it or it'll just slip all the time. It's a nice solid unit, just need the appropriate allen keys and work methodically. Once adjusted its very nice to use and a bargain S/H. If the paint is worn that's easy to retouch too and makes it look like new again, think I used satin black to touch the wear out on mine. Replacing the bubble level is a pain but can be done tho its not so useful for star gazing, did that on mine just to make the mount "complete" as it were. Also obtained a couple extra quick-release plates for it so can quickly swap camera, binos etc :) 

This is my weekend project

Got my first look at the Sky last night since the operation on my hand. Only 7 or 8 minutes when I noticed the cloud had broken a bit. Being a complete novice I didn’t try to identify anything, I just looked with my 10x50s mounted on the monopod with the Manfretto trigger head. Brilliant! Roll on clearer skies.

• Like 3