SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lesser known open clusters

I’m interested to find a few open clusters that are not the usual ‘well known’ ones. Anybody willing to share their favourite less well known open clusters? I’m interested to know if when you’re observing them, they’ve conjured up any shapes in your mind. In other words do they look like objects we are familiar with, sort of open cluster asterisms so to speak. Suggestions welcome.

Steve 

Excellent source ,IMG_7156.JPG.13c3443ee18529a6748215b3d2e16ade.JPG Some great clusters and small drawings from the ep.

Plenty around . ."Graff's" IC4756 in Serpens , NGC 752 in Andromeda, the binary cluster "running man" NGC 1545 and NGC 1528, Lacerta clusters NGC 7209 IC 1434 and NGC 7243. Coming up in Monoceros M50, NGC 2301 " Hagrid's dragon" and NGC 2353 "Avery's island". NGC 2360 "Caroline's  cluster" and M41 in CaMa.

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

Excellent source ,IMG_7156.JPG.13c3443ee18529a6748215b3d2e16ade.JPG Some great clusters and small drawings from the ep.

Plenty around . ."Graff's" IC4756 in Serpens , NGC 752 in Andromeda, the binary cluster "running man" NGC 1545 and NGC 1528, Lacerta clusters NGC 7209 IC 1434 and NGC 7243. Coming up in Monoceros M50, NGC 2301 " Hagrid's dragon" and NGC 2353 "Avery's island". NGC 2360 "Caroline's  cluster" and M41 in CaMa.

Nick.

Thanks. Book ordered. Much appreciated. 

Steve

• Like 1

Ah yes, Graff's Cluster and (perhaps actually also known as?) "Tweedledum & Tweedledee". One of the very first astro objects I looked up after first getting in to this pasttime and taking a (terrible) photo very close to Altair...

Edited by Captain Magenta

4 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Are you going Hereford with SGL I have a book here you can look through.

No Paul I’m not able to go this year as I’ll be on holiday. I’m grateful for the offer though, very kind of you. I also ordered the Webb’s double star atlas at the same time so that should be a useful tool on the double star targets. 

Steve 

Loving it all. I got my first look at Tweedledum five weeks ago. Looked it up after taking notes and laughed at the name. I normally go all polar aligned and synscan, but decided to cast around and just look due to time constraints. Good night, would not have tweedledum in my diary if I had gone go to.

Made a note to go free style every now and again. My diary says “now I know what dob owners are seeing, it is so simple.

Marv

• Like 1

NGC 6811 in Cygnus, "Hole in a cluster". About 1000 stars, with some concentration in the outer regions, thus leaving the impression of a darker center - the hole. View varies with different apertures.; nice to look at and easy to find.

Stephan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys

Down under we have a different assortment of open clusters

Jewel Box located within the CRUX, (Southern Cross)

Beehive, M44

Omega Centauri NGC5139

Butterfly  M6

Pearl Cluster NGC 3766

Attached link gives list of open cluster https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_clusters  

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/09/2019 at 12:57, Trikeflyer said:

I’m interested to find a few open clusters that are not the usual ‘well known’ ones. Anybody willing to share their favourite less well known open clusters? I’m interested to know if when you’re observing them, they’ve conjured up any shapes in your mind. In other words do they look like objects we are familiar with, sort of open cluster asterisms so to speak. Suggestions welcome.

Steve 

I've observed this year Dolidze-Dzimselejsvili 5 which resembles umbrella or boat anchor, DoDz 6 looks like Arabian sword, and also not so impressive DoDz 8 and 9, they are not well known, but interesting.

Some info is here: 

https://www.astrobuysell.com/paul/DoDzClusters.htm

Edited by Slava80
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started with night watch book which has 20 pags of the best items once I did that I got the orion 600 objects. its laminated 1 large folding page about 20x30 inch long/wide. I found this perfect as 600 items is enough to last you many years, and since its laminated you don't have to worry about dew or getting wet. and it folds down to a single sheet of paper so theres no weight compared to my 3 volume set books.

joejaguar