Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

An EQ8 R

Nigella Bryant

A surprise, an EQ8 R

Skywatcher EQ8-R Pro (head only)

£3,699.00

Replacing the redoubtable Skywatcher EQ8, is this new improved version - the EQ8-R. Improvements include shifting the motor housings to improve axial balance in certain orientations, improved internal cable management, improved connectivity (with 3x built-in USB connectors and 3x power out sockets to run peripherals, such as cameras), up-rated clutch mechanism, improved dovetail groove knob for added comfort and increased locking power and belt drive of the Dec Axis for reduced slewing noise.

The mount is available as this head-only option for those with observatory piers and also as a version with the portable pier tripod, for those who need to transport their system.

Edited by Nigella Bryant

8 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

That's my thought exactly, seems a bit of a con. 

I wouldn't go that far.  The old EQ8 was the more or less on it's own at the circa £2000 price point in having such a high weight capacity.

My guess is that they've decided to aim the mount a higher spec market, hence the belt driven Dec axis and all the built in power and USB features.  Perhaps there just isn't a big enough market for a high capacity mount at this price point to make it worth making them.

However, personally I think it's a shame that this option of a (relatively) inexpensive high capacity mount will now have disappeared.  

Perhaps there is a new low cost, high weight capacity mount in the pipeline (EQ7)?

17 minutes ago, michaelmorris said:

Perhaps there is a new low cost, high weight capacity mount in the pipeline (EQ7)?

There was talk of an EQ7 before the EQ8 came out if I recall correctly.  In fact Skywatcher may even have demoed one at one point.  I think the lack of a mount at the EQ8 price point shoves me very firmly into the used market for any future upgrade (or even build one myself).

James

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Tyson M said:

^ my observing buddy said the same thing for his EQ8.  He does long exposure imaging and ended up selling it for a 10 micron

I did the exact same thing, had a 10 Micron since 2015 and now it's at a co'owned remote observatory in Spain imaging 200+ nights per year since summer 2017

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

I discovered just now via a PM that there is an EQ8 forum with a member called Olly. This led to a little confusion till the sender and I realized that this is another Olly and not me!  I did have 'history' with the early EQ8 but, since then, it has been revised and is getting a good press. If ever my visual-only 14 inch LX200 packs up (which is not unknown) a new EQ8 would be top of my list as a replacement. It's very affordable for a big mount.

Olly (the old one! 🤣 )

6 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I discovered just now via a PM that there is an EQ8 forum with a member called Olly. This led to a little confusion till the sender and I realized that this is another Olly and not me!  I did have 'history' with the early EQ8 but, since then, it has been revised and is getting a good press. If ever my visual-only 14 inch LX200 packs up (which is not unknown) a new EQ8 would be top of my list as a replacement. It's very affordable for a big mount.

Olly (the old one! 🤣 )

Sorry for confusing you Olly, as you are a one off anyway 😛

Lee

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

I've had my EQ8-R Pro for about a month and used it three times. It isn't permenantnly set up, though it really needs to be! 

I made a 15 minute video for my local society's online meetings on some of the very basic aspects of setting up the mount and talking about its features, but this is VERY simple, so don't expect any guiding graphs or backlash measurements. Feel free to watch. I made two videos, one short and one longer, this is the longer version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/td4k0sae5a0aorn/EQ8 long version.mp4?dl=0

A few considerations so far:

- I've not guided with it yet so can't comment on that

- it is VERY heavy

- there is no noticeable backlash in either axis

- it is remarkably stable

- the autohome position is nice and so far when undertaking a star alignment the first star has always been near the centre of the FoV of the finderscope which is something I've never encountered with my AZ-EQ6

- it handles the C14 with absolute ease, which it should, but is refreshing

- the GOTO accuracy appears to be amazing even when using a C14

- after polar aligning with PoleMaster the tracking has been excellent

- I'm still trying to get to grips with the internal USB hub; I'm waiting for some shorter USB3 cables, but at present I need a powered USB hub between the laptop and the input USB port on the mount to get it to drive a non-cooled ZWO camera the other end, even when powering the auxillary part of the mount.

- I'm not 100% taken with the clutch levers yet, but I guess I'll get used to them. They just feel a bit flimsy.

- Had the Rh version been £1000 less than its current price, I proibably would have gone all out for that version.

It is truely lovely.

James

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1