Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher EQ8-R Astronomy Mount

FLO

Sky-Watcher have today revealed a new updated EQ8 mount, the Sky-Watcher EQ8-R 🙂 

Improvements over the previous EQ8 model include: 

• Cable management system for reduced tangling. 
  • Improved Connectivity. 
  • Improved installation position of motors for improved balance. 
  • Improved clutch mechanism provides more holding strength. 
  • Improved dovetail groove knob for added comfort and increased locking power. 
  • Belt drive on the DEC axes for quiet slewing. 

Note: Freedom-Find encoders are not present on the EQ8-R. 

sky-watcher_EQ8-R_with_pillar_triopd.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

**Please note Freedom-Find encoders are not present on the EQ8-R**

Do you know if these will be available in future?

This upgrade was unexpected so we have only the info available here and at our website. Interestingly, as far as we can tell, the UK is first to have info and stock. 

Steve

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mikeyj1 said:

Are you bringing one along to Lucksall? 

We aren't planning to but if you'd like to collect one from Lucksall please choose the 'Collection' option when ordering and let us know in the 'Delivery Information' box at the Checkout. 

HTH, 

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

We have received a number of emails from people asking about an EQ8-Rh version which apparently is the same but features an encoder on the R.A. axis for higher tracking accuracy. Unfortunately because we haven’t been advised of this model we don’t yet have anything to share. Sorry. As soon as we do we will post it here. 

On 29/09/2019 at 14:52, FLO said:

We have received a number of emails from people asking about an EQ8-Rh version which apparently is the same but features an encoder on the R.A. axis for higher tracking accuracy. Unfortunately because we haven’t been advised of this model we don’t yet have anything to share. Sorry. As soon as we do we will post it here. 

The Sky-Watcher EQ8-Rh mount (version with Renishaw Encoder) has been added to our website. 

ETA mid-November. 

• 2 weeks later...

Trevor Jones at AstroBackyard on YouTube has just posted a review video of the EQ8-R that might be really useful for people to get a feel for this new mount. He has had this on loan from Skywatcher for review. the video can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzhd09j_Jc0.

One question that came to mind was, will Skywatcher be offering an upgrade kit for existing EQ8 users? That new saddle with usb hub and power would be really useful.

I really like those adjustable feet platforms, I could see those being useful for a semi permanent setup of my AZEQ6 if I secured them in the garden, assuming they wouldn't rust?  Anyone know where I can buy these or something similar?

Edited by scitmon