Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cygnids in Jully 2019 from Bulgaria

A_Chobanova

I joined in the "Beli Brezi" camp near Ardino, Bulgaria, in July. It is an astronomical camp, attended by many students and scientists from all over the country and abroad. I participated in the Meteor Visual Observation Group. We were supposed to observe DEL, CAS, ANT, CAP, PER, SDA and PAU. But with the rest of the group we noticed a lot of sporadic meteors coming from the constellation Cygnus (Swan). We began our exploration and finally concluded that this could be a new meteor shower. It can't be Kappa-Cygnids because they are in August. And the characteristics of the meteors were not the same as those of Alpha-Cignids. My question is, did anyone watch anything like this between July 22 and August 3? If yes, please contact me!

On the first photo we can see the maximum of our Cygnids. And on the second photo we can how my group carefully monitor the displacement of the radiant. It looks like a meteor shower!

28-29.png

радиант изменение.png

On 16/09/2019 at 21:46, Rob Sellent said:

No expert but aren't the Kappa-Cygnids between late July to late August? Do you think the dates given above could have been early examples of the Cygnids?

Yes, they are. But their maximum is on the night of Jully 21-22, and these Cygnids that I watched had a maximum on the night of Jully 28-29. And the characteristics of our Cygnids are not the same as Kappa-Cygnids.