SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Does anyone know what this is called?

Spacehead

Hi All I am trying to dismantle my EQ5 - but need the tool as shown in the photo.  The thing is - not knowing what its called I cant find one online!!!
I've tried pin spanner - but that doesn't get me the right thing - anyone know by any chance?  Much appreciated.

span.jpg

Without wanting to sound facetious, the tool you need is “cutting up a bit of 10mm ply, banging a couple of nails in it and then cutting the nail heads off to make the pins”.   I don’t know what the proper thingie is called either but making my own has worked in the past!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think it's called a lens ring spanner, I have one and it's invaluable for the purpose. I don't think it would be adequate for the job you illustrate, the tool for this would be a "C" spanner but it would have to have the correct pin size and spacing. Best, as suggested , is to try and cobble up your own.   😀

• Like 1

Ideally you want parallel pins rather than points for such mechanical work. Points may just lever themselves out of the holes if the ring is stiff.
I use circlip pliers when the job suits. These come in several varieties. Straight and offset. Internal and external action.
Sometimes I can get away with using long nose pliers or tapered, round jaw, wire forming pliers.
An old and knackered pair of vernier calipers can sometimes work but don't ruin quality tools.

If you could drill the jaws of an adjustable spanner for pins you would have a really solid, adjustable tool.
Drilling hardened steel is [er-um] hard work. The hardness of an old adjustable spanner could be let down with lots of heat.
Let it cool slowly. Or make your own tool with mild steel, drill a large hole and then halve it to fit around the projecting axle.
Then drill smaller holes for the pins. Use a piece of paper, like a brass rubbing, to get the exact size you need.

Power tools often have pin spanners for their grinding and sanding disks. You might be lucky if the pin spacing is just right.
I often spend hours going through a shed full of tools. Usually when it's Sunday afternoon and I'm desperate to find something to fit a job. 

With all such tools you should be very careful about damaging the workpiece if the "pointy" tool slips.
Lenses, in particular, don't like metal tools being scratched across their surface! Extreme care is required with these!