Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M33 - A work in progress

AstroKane

Over a fully moon lit weekend in bortle 8 skies, I managed to get 4 hours unguided data on the Triangulum Galaxy - I think my expectation was so low that I am actually quite happy with the end result. I will attach both nights images below.

Scope: SW ED80. Camera: asi294 (cooled to 0) Mount: AVX. Subs stacked in DSS and processed in PI.

I have two questions:

(1) I wonder how many hours under the correct conditions would really bring this image to life? I know the rule of thumb is as many as possible..but I wonder what other imagers use as a ball park, I was thinking 15-20.

(2) I went to an OSC  (asi294 pro) from DSLR and I am at this point happy with my decision. But, I am thinking to invest in a mono (asi1600 pro) so that I can combine my OSC data with Luminance and Ha. Have other imagers had good results from this method? 

First night - 1 hour

1007387895_M33firsttestPS.thumb.jpg.939d255973ac09f401f85c2108fab32e.jpg

2nd night - 4 hours data

639885933_M334hoursdata.thumb.jpg.d7a71c530588177d3f523a863e851eb9.jpg

Clear Skies

Edited by AstroKane
  • Like 6

Its taking shape.  To answer your questions....a lot depends on the skill of the processor.  Certainly 10-12 will be sufficient.  Maintain as sharp a focus as possible.

As far as combining the OSC with teh mono--different processing paths.  You'd have to debayer the OSC (which I know nothing about) prior to combination with the mono.  Seems like a lot of work.  once you get the mono, that will be what you will tend to use I think.

Regarding M33: watch the reds/pinks/yellows/golds etc.  the galaxy tends toward the blue.  Your stars look great.

Rodd

• Like 1

Cheers mate.

On 16/09/2019 at 17:51, Rodd said:

Its taking shape.  To answer your questions....a lot depends on the skill of the processor. 

Crikey we may be in trouble then! Hopefully it comes out nice. To be honest, I have never imaged M33 and considering the conditions, no tracking and my beginner level gear - I am already quite happy!

When I have a finished data set will keep in my re the colour.

Clear Skies

That’s a nice start on m33.

I’ve combined osc with mono data, as have a few chaps on here. It’s works well, and I didn’t experience any trouble doing it. I just used Astro Pixel Processor to do the stacking and aligning. I then processed in PS.

• Like 1