Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with SHO processing - data included - Heart Nebula

I have some Ha Oiii and Sii data for the same target.

I've never had this before so I'm new to this type of processing.

The Oiii and Sii data is challenging.

What figures are we trying to match in the 3 three stacks before combining?  Is it background brightness or what exactly?

Anyone fancy taking a look at it you have nothing better to do?  I've attached the aligned stacks of Oiii and Sii, plus my processed Ha data.  

Here is my attempt after an hour of processing it in PS.  I'm not sure how to improve, maybe I'm still too far off for help :)

CS

Adam.

HSO-WIP.jpg

IC1805-Ha.tif IC1805-Oiii.tif IC1805-Sii.tif

• Like 4

I don't tend to try match these type of images as the signal is often pretty poor from the Oiii and Sii channels.

I just process each the best I can and then combine.

This is what I got with your data.

IC1805-SHO.png

Ah, I didn't do a great job of cropping the top edge, but you get the idea.

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2

Just now, carastro said:

I don't tend to try match these type of images as the signal is often pretty poor from the Oiii and Sii channels.

I just process each the best I can and then combine.

This is what I got with your data.

IC1805-SHO.png

Honestly Carole that's about 10^6 times better.   How does the Ha data look?  The other data is really really bad.

Ha data is not bad at all, Oiii and Sii was very noisy, so each got a bit of filter/despeckle, and then once I had combined the SHO I blurred the image to obliterate the noise and then replaced the Ha over the top for a 2nd time increasing the coloured layer in curves to compensate for the washed out appearance the Ha (as luminance) gave.

Carole 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Hi Adam, I had a go but failed miserably, Carole's job was really good, I grabbed that as I couldn't couldn't do any better and just removed the magenta and a touch of green: -

Again John, thanks for having a go.  I really like the colours, the blues are lovely. I've spent a couple of hours at it now, and going to stop now, and come back it again, may be with better Oiii and Sii data.

I cropped it a bit, and processed it again.  S=red H=green O=blue.  Tone mapped the colours.  Couldnt get a luminance from the layers, so just ended up using Ha as the lum.

Here it is:

IC1805-SHO-CROP-.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

Here's my attempt using PixInsight

The Oiii and Sii seemed already stretched.

• alignment of the channels
  • Ha stretch (applied screen transfer function as permanent stretch)
  • sho combination
  • scnr green
  • saturation boost
  • noise reduction
  • star reduction
  • resample

tooth_dr_ic1805_sho.thumb.jpg.556b47826a9236f66e4c8a92ae5ceca7.jpg

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 1

Just now, Star101 said:

From my attempts. I enjoyed working with your data. It's much better than mine lol.

How many subs and what length where they?

Thanks! I don’t think my Oiii or Sii was good but I was happy with the Ha.  All data unbinned and taken during bright moon this week.

Ha 72 x 600s

Oiii 17 x 600s

Sii 18 x 600s

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Here's my attempt using PixInsight

The Oiii and Sii seemed already stretched.

• alignment of the channels
  • Ha stretch (applied screen transfer function as permanent stretch)
  • sho combination
  • scnr green
  • saturation boost
  • noise reduction
  • star reduction
  • resample

tooth_dr_ic1805_sho.thumb.jpg.dad91e5446f505c02c306373c063b02a.jpg

Amazing Wim!

I know what you mean about already stretched, looked like that to me too. But it was straight out of APP with no DPP etc, just raw stacks.  Maybe due to high background levels from moon?

5 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

taken during bright moon this week

That must have affected the Oiii data a lot.

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I know what you mean about already stretched, looked like that to me too. But it was straight out of APP with no DPP etc, just raw stacks.  Maybe due to high background levels from moon?

The Oiii data probably, but the Sii is deep red, and shouldn't have been affected any more than the Ha.

Both Oiii and Sii have an average pixelvalue of about 0.2 (scale from 0 to 1), while the unstretched Ha was much lower. What do the single Oiii and Sii subs look like, compared to their masters?

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wimvb said:

That must have affected the Oiii data a lot.

The Oiii data probably, but the Sii is deep red, and shouldn't have been affected any more than the Ha.

It was literally the full moon, images captured on the 13th 😂 but just shows that even with the moon it’s still feasible to get out there and do something. 

• Like 1

It's been my experience with NB filters, that from a LP location even then only the bright targets can be done.  Sometimes Ha will be OK on the fainter targets but not the Oiii and Sii.  

I think I recall you are moving to a LP location.  You might be interested to see a website I made solely for images I have done from Bortle 8, it might give you some sort of guide.  A number of targets I just had to abandon from home.

https://sites.google.com/view/carastroimaging/home

Carole 

22 hours ago, carastro said:

It's been my experience with NB filters, that from a LP location even then only the bright targets can be done.  Sometimes Ha will be OK on the fainter targets but not the Oiii and Sii.  

I think I recall you are moving to a LP location.  You might be interested to see a website I made solely for images I have done from Bortle 8, it might give you some sort of guide.  A number of targets I just had to abandon from home.

https://sites.google.com/view/carastroimaging/home

Carole 

Thanks Carole, I've had a look at your site, it is inspiring to say the least.  Re house move, that's currently off the cards, so I'm stuck at my Bortle 4 location for the time being.

Even in my 21.66 Bortle 4 location I didn't even think of [OIII] or [SII] during the full moon, and I have 3 nm filters. HII was OK but I did a trial 120 sec exposure binned 2x2 and saw nothing in [SII]. This was looking at Melotte 15 right in the heart.

23 hours ago, DaveS said:

Even in my 21.66 Bortle 4 location I didn't even think of [OIII] or [SII] during the full moon, and I have 3 nm filters. HII was OK but I did a trial 120 sec exposure binned 2x2 and saw nothing in [SII]. This was looking at Melotte 15 right in the heart.

Hi Dave, as you know I did mine with a full moon, I started with Ha and the moon had no affect, I then did OIII early before the moon really was glowing, but I was pointing NE and the moon was SE, and then I grabbed the SII as quick as I could the following day without the moon interfering. I'm using Chroma 2" Unmounted 3nm filters.