SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher HEQ5 mount issue

Andrew INT

Hello all. I have a rather old (almost 15 years) HEQ5 mount which was upgraded to the goto version some time ago.  I started getting the error "unable to detect both axis - standalone mode" or words to that effect. I understand that this is often an indicator that the motor board may have become damaged. I replaced two capacitors on the board which are known to often fail (420uF 25v).

Still getting the standalone error. However, with repeated tried to turn the mount on, from time to time is will actually start to function fine for a short while - slewing to targets etc. However it will then either just stop responding or give the error "Flash ROM error A6 Data = 0000".  I am able to re-flash the handset but the problems persist.

Do the more experienced members think this is most likely a motor board issue, hand controller or even a simple cable issue? I am rather short of cash this month - even a £20 cable is a push, let alone a £120 motor board! I've been without the mount now for two months and I'm as miserable as sin!!!

Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.