Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Andrew INT

Skywatcher HEQ5 mount issue

Hello all. I have a rather old (almost 15 years) HEQ5 mount which was upgraded to the goto version some time ago.  I started getting the error "unable to detect both axis - standalone mode" or words to that effect. I understand that this is often an indicator that the motor board may have become damaged. I replaced two capacitors on the board which are known to often fail (420uF 25v).

Still getting the standalone error. However, with repeated tried to turn the mount on, from time to time is will actually start to function fine for a short while - slewing to targets etc. However it will then either just stop responding or give the error "Flash ROM error A6 Data = 0000".  I am able to re-flash the handset but the problems persist.

Do the more experienced members think this is most likely a motor board issue, hand controller or even a simple cable issue? I am rather short of cash this month - even a £20 cable is a push, let alone a £120 motor board! I've been without the mount now for two months and I'm as miserable as sin!!!

Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.

Intermittent issue seems odd.

Make sure it is all dry inside. Can you borrow a handset from someone else and try that and their cable, that will help narrow it down.

James

• Like 1

The mount is kept outside with a weather proof cover over it so it could be a moisture issue. The motor board is dry but Ive not checked the smaller daughter board that takes the power and hand control. I'll check that today- thanks.